1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying my first car - need some advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dre,

Good to hear you're not doing too badly, especially considering the way you got jumbled around in the life-size tin can.

All your vehicles are stout selections. Honda and Toyota are both, and while I've never driven Subarus, the reviews and feedback I've received are strong ... never mind that AWD is very helpful in snowy regions.

Tough to lose with Honda Civics, Toyota Corollas or Subaru Imprezas. And if you're serious about considering Nissan Altima, add Honda Accords to your list. It's a competitior to the Altima, and there's a reason so many Accords are on the road and tend to stay there a while.

Advantages both ways. Used is good because someone else has driven all, or at least most, of the depreciation from the vehicle. New is good simply because you haven't inherited someone else's problems. New isn't as bad as many here make it out to be. Sometimes, getting the ghosts out of a used machine takes a lot of money - and a pile of headaches - that shouldn't be an issue with new vehicles (particularly mechanical iron horses such as Toyota, Honda or Nissan).

With new vehicles, late May/early June would be better since it's closer to the end of a model year and dealers are usually a little more anxious to make room soon for new inventory. With used, little difference. Thing is, typically the last few days of the month put you at a bigger advantage because dealers with quotas on their consultants/salespeople are putting those seeds in their heads and they need to make more sales.

Your one big advantage: The economy. It's so bad that there's no telling what kind of rebates, money-back offers and such are out there in desperate attempts to get customers in the doors. It's like buying stocks right now: Going against the grain can really work in your favor.

That you can pay for the vehicle on the spot is a HUGE help - as long as you don't need the money for other things such as emergencies. That saves the headache of lining up financing.

As for the dealers, NEVER answer the "how much can you afford per month?" crap. NEVER. Your answer should be "Let's discuss the price of the vehicle, then worry about the rest of the transaction." Don't let them muddle numbers together. Their hope - and it works entirely too often - is the dealers hopes customers have cost of vehicle, cost of trade-in, financing, payments per months and anything else hanging out there swimming in their heads.

Having no trade-in will help. Knowing that financing might not be necessary also helps (and saves you all the hidden fees and other stupidity). In summary: One set of numbers at a time. It pisses some of them off because you're thinking clearly, they can't slide crap by you and you're clearly on top in the game.

Finally, never be afraid to walk away. That rule always applies, arguably even moreso as dealers have to figure out how to get consumers to buy vehicles that are more worried about affording the basics right now.

Good luck, Dre. Let us know how things are going.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dre - glad you're still alive.

look at accords that are a couple of years old.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Thanks for all the advice, especially Sam, that was really helpful. The money I have put away for this is strictly for buying a car so it's not like I'm taking from my savings or anything to buy it. Depending on how much I get for my Grand-Am, I could probably pay for a new lower end model of most of these cars on the spot.

And thanks guys for the well-wishes, I'm glad I'm still alive as well.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm this happy ---------> ;D

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

On the when-to-buy...if you're buying from a dealer, I've actually found that buying in the last few weeks of December is INCREDIBLY beneficial (that's when I bought my car) because any cars that are still on the car lot Jan. 1, the dealer has to pay tax on. So they love to practically give away cars the closer it gets to Jan. 1. I basically got a brand-new car for inventory price (it also helped that we knew the dealership owners really well, so they were willing to cut us a good deal).

I'd get a car with 25K on it (my parents wanted me to get a lightly used car but, on a whim, I test-drove this one car, liked the way it handled and the price was right.) because that's about when it hits its stride on gas mileage.

6. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

The last time I purchased a car (three years ago), I made sure I put plenty of research into what I was going to get. What I found is that you can't go wrong with ANY Toyota, and any Honda is not too far behind.

I ended up getting a Mazda Protege 5, basically a prequel to the Mazda 3, and I love it.

Before you do anything, though, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the latest edition of Consumer Report's auto edition. Lots of great - independent - information.

The Mazda 3 had a higher overall rating than some BMWs.

Zoom, zoom.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't think it makes any difference at all when you buy. Car dealers are desperate to have any buyers walk onto the lot. You can get a great deal, but stick to your guns and don't spend a dime more than you're comfortable with.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Right now dealers are desperate, but late in any calendar year is a good time to buy. I've always bought new and my cars have always lasted forever and that includes one Ford. I would advise highly against leasing because once you start leasing, you have a car payment for the rest of your life. Those leases are set up so that the only way you can get out from under it is to pay big bucks at the end - or take another lease. You want a car you can drive for a decade, if not more, which means that gives you five or six years with no payment.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Cannot go wrong with a Honda or a Toyota product.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dre,

If you are going to buy and are set on buying new shop around online and get prices. Several websites -- such as cars.com -- will help.

For example, if you see an Altima with what you want on it retails for 25,000 but people are getting it in your area for 22,000, have that information written down.

If you find a car you like, let them make the first offer. Don't say anything like, "So I guess these fuel-efficient babies are really popular, huh?"

Dealers are desperate to sell so you are in command. If they get under the $22,000 price, you are golden. If they are over and are haggling, I'd just say that you know they are selling for $22,000 on averge and you'll give them $21,500.

But the Altima seems out of place with your other cars, which are all smaller.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A few words of advice...

used
    Honda
    Toyota
    Carmax

Also, if you live in a snowy state with lots of salt, I would take a drive to Virginia or North Carolina if you can and buy from a Carmax in the Commonwealth.

There is very little salt on the roads in Virginia.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I know someone who would love to sell a used Saturn to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted