1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying a cell phone online

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Has anybody ordered a phone from Cingular.com? If so, how was the experience? And was it a hassle getting the numbers transfered from your old phone to the new one?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I ordered a phone online from Cingular. Very simple process.
    I had not owned a cell phone since 2000, so I had no numbers to transfer.

3. Inky_Wretch

Transfering the numbers is my biggest question. Can I just pull the SIM card out of my old phone and move the numbers that way? Or do will I need to go to Cingular and have them hook the phones up with a cable and do it that way. I damn sure don't want to have to input all 200+ numbers manually.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The last cell phone I had was so old it was pre-SIM card, and it was the size of a chalkboard eraser.
    I've had the new one for less than a year (the paper forced me to get one), but I thought the SIM card's purpose was to ease the transfer of stored numbers.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I had issues with my new phone because they have new sim cards. I couldn't just transfer cards, but the phone came in like a week and it was a good phone. There was also no problem with activating it at all. I don't think I had to even do anything. Once I put the SIM card in, the new phone worked.

6. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

I ordered a phone from Cingular 15 months ago. Arrived in two days and I've had no costumer service problems at all. When the SIM card died, the girl on the phone said it would be about 20 bucks for a new one, but when I went to the store, they gave me a new card for free.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

SIM cards are coded specifically to carriers. When I switched from T-Mobile to Cingular in 2004, I couldn't drop in my old SIM even though I was moving from one Motorola to another. But I like T-Mobile better, so I went back to them this year when my Cingular contract expired.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My only complaint with the phone I got from Cingular — a SonyErrickson — is the ring doesn't get loud enough. I can never hear it.
    I recorded a very cool E9 chord on it, but it's too quiet.
    I need a phone that goes to 11.

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

My SIM card from before was through Cingular. My new phone was also from Cingular, so it ended up being sort of a pain to transfer my numbers, but it was a blessing in disguise. I deleted a lot of numbers I never used or that were out of date when I was doing my transferring, and I still have the old phone if I happen to need one of the numbers I left out.

10. Inky_Wretch

The most difficult part of this? Ordering a phone without actually holding it in my hand.

I'm torn between the MotoRazr (with iTunes) or a refurbished Treo. If I get the Razr, it'll be small enough to fit in my pocket. If I get the Treo, I can check e-mail and surf SJ no matter where I am. I'm leaning to the Razr.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I'm concerned with any phone that says "refurbished."

12. Inky_Wretch

Normally, I would as well. But it comes with a full 1-year warranty. And I know a couple of people who have gotten refurbished phones in the past and never had trouble.

Draft saved Draft deleted