1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buy your own laptop?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bob, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I said if/when. Meaning they haven't yet, but probably will, despite their assurances otherwise. And at that point I'll have to decide if it's worth it or if I tell them no.

But thanks for your concern.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

My personal stance: I agree that they should be provided. However, I can understand if they're not, as long as someone in the IT department is able to take care of the thing should stuff go haywire. I guess you'd call it a "rental" - to them.

Though I would assume others would agree that if it came down to no longer providing laptops or not cutting a person/parts of travel, the laptops would be first to go.

Here's a good question for you guys then: what about some of the kids at our shop who, I think, are supposed to be part-time clerks, but are sent to cover stories now and then? We urge them to come back and write at the paper, mostly because of that reason. But would there be any liability should these guys and girls go out and do it on their own personal laptops?

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know what your question means.
    Some places stopped giving stringers laptops, since that made them de facto employees and covered by things like workman's comp. Say they got in a car accident on the way to an assignment, since they are independent contractors, it wouldn't matter, but if they had company issued equipment, it would.
    If the person already works there part-time, then they are already employees and would be covered regardless.
    If they are interns and not being paid and given an assignment, I think it would be the same thing, they are de facto employees and covered regardless if they have a laptop or not. A slick attorney might be able to talk out of that box, maybe.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't get the venom directed at some of the folks here who are considering -- or have used --their own personal laptops at work.

What they are saying is it worth it to let the "man" win, shell out the money and get a dependable laptop of your own?

I think it is a legit question, especially if you have to check out a laptop every time or are issued a dud that drives you crazy.

And I imagine if you refuse to cover a game because you don't have a working laptop, you will be told to dictate it or drive back in to the office or text message.

Doubt that threat will scare the office skinflints much.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's not really venom, Ace. I know plenty of people at every shop I've worked who have used their own laptop -- or bought one for themselves, and used that instead of the crappy company laptop -- but all did so because they wanted their own computer anyway.

None of them had to choose between putting themselves in financial straits and ... not being able to do their jobs, because the company was too cheap to provide the necessary tools.

That's where the venom is directed. It's not about "letting the man win." It's simply an unacceptable working condition -- few other companies hire an employee to do a job and then don't provide him/her with the equipment to do that job. Un-fucking-acceptable. No exceptions.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

How much is the tax break if you buy your own?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're a full-time reporter at a paper who is expected to ever file stories from somewhere other than the office desk, you need a laptop. Period. No discussion.

Early in my career, when I was covering preps, we had to share them. There were eight of us covering preps and just six laptops so if someone was covering a game really close to the office they were asked to come in and write... That was annoying, but still reasonable...

The thought that places just expect full-time employees to use their own laptops just really pisses me off...

8. Mizzougrad96

It's barely noticeable.

9. Mizzougrad96

Repeating this paragraph will get your ass kicked... Or get you hired as a SE... :D

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Just found out my company is providing me with a new laptop with an air card tomorrow.

I've gone to laptop heaven!

11. Just noting this is why I use my own machine on the road. The ones used by the masses are very unreliable at times.

When it's crunch time, I'd rather have mine, and be sure it works, than some POS that I'm unfamiliar with.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

"They're playing in the afternoon, right? Drive back here tonight, file, then drive back to the tournament in the morning."

Two hours one way. Did that shit for 3 frackin' days. Thank gods the team I was covering ended up in the state fifth-place game.

Draft saved Draft deleted