1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Butch up Sally

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by brettwatson, Apr 3, 2007.

1. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

I just saw last week's episode of Friday Night Lights (which I loved by the way) and can't get one of the lines out of my head. In one of those great Texas expressions, a high school football coach says to another, "Butch up, Sally."

What a tremendous line. Kind of a Lone Star version of "man up."

Has anyone ever heard this expression or is it something the clever writers on the show coined?

I have to use that at work tomorrow in some capacity. Of course the key is to find the right time for it.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Men in Texas do not talk to each other that way. I promise.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

They're more along the lines of, "Do you want me to hold your purse, Nancy?" after you turn down that sixth Jager shot.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

This reminds me of a line I heard on Scrubs tonight.

Carla lets slip that Turk waxes his chest so he doesn't irritate her skin when they sleep together to which The Todd says to Turk, "Does she make you wax your vagina too?"

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Best show on TV. Reminds me of a classic Cox-to-JD line: "I’m gonna go ahead and write you a prescription for two testicles. You get it filled whenever."

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'm pretty sure that line was in the same episode too. One of the best eps of Scrubs EVER.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

My favorites have always come from Cox and his wife.

Cox: Let me guess, since you've already taken everything meaningful in my life, you're here now wanting my self respect. Well, bad news, I already gave that to your mother when she begged me to marry you.

Wife: Oh, that's OK. I wouldn't have room for it anyway, what with your testicles already in the trophy case.

8. FWIW - John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox) is a huge Yankees and sports fan in general

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Didn't he wear a Yankees batting helmet in one scene in "Wall Street," or am I getting his characters mixed up?

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I don't think Texas rednecks are familiar with all of the contemporary uses of the word "butch."

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It's likely that the phrase was familiar to several generations of Broadway choreographers before it ever made it to the locker room or the table-read for FNL.

Draft saved Draft deleted