1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Butch Davis fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dick Baddour is out.

http://www.chapelboro.com/Dick-Baddour-Steps-Down-As-Athletic-Director/10475916

2. Clemson is like a lot of ACC football programs. Selective tradition of winning, fans think they're a player (when they're not), haven't accomplished anything to speak of recently.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I grew up following Clemson and then went on and got edu-ma-cated there, so I have to disagree with you lonestarscribe. Clemson's not like a lot of ACC football programs with regard to its fans' "selectivity" vis-a-vis past performance and national stature ... Clemson's waaaaaaaaay worse than the rest in that regard.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hey, I got one right!

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At this point you are a bigger player if your team is in Mountain West.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Baddour steps down:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6812203/dick-baddour-north-carolina-tar-heels-stepping-athletic-director

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

"Steps down??"

8. KYSportsWriter

Was just using words from the story ...

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Checked some search engines trying to use the terms "Baddour" and "fired." Only things pulled up for that referred to Butch Davis when discussing fired.

Seems like Chapel Hill had Baddour walk the plank, but at least didn't bound his hands and feet and put him in a gunnysack. At least he's allowed to swim to safety. Say what you will about the questionable judgment, but publicly he had conducted himself in enough of a class manner that the university returned the favor in a manner of speaking.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

All of this aside, I've had other college coaches tell me North Carolina would be a great job if they got the right coach in there. The next Urban Meyer, for example. I think it's a bit of a sleeping giant.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No question about that - facilities are first class, school is beautiful, area is great. When they hired Davis, I thought the Heels had found that coach. Wrong again.

12. KYSportsWriter

I think every Carolina fan did.

Draft saved Draft deleted