1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But what if I *am* part of the story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DGRollins, Sep 25, 2007.

1. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

I'm looking for opinion on whether I've found the right balance with the story below. In a perfect world, I'd assign someone else to chase this for a while, but that ain't gonna happen here.

To me, the fact that they booted me was a major part of this story...

We go to press in six hours....thoughts?

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I'm confused. Are Ellis and Hill different people?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Go with Hill. Why is he first-named sometimes?

Also, in the third graf, 'was asked TO leave.' Dropped word.

Overall though...who gives a shit? I think if you lose the first three grafs, you've got what people care about. Who cares that you weren't there? You have the letter, his answer, and the rest. The fact you were asked to leave is a tangent that doesn't matter to the story.

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

If your last name is Lickers, do you really want your nickname to be "Guy"?

Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

5. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Ellis, Hill is a typo. Thanks.

That a community owned team closed its meeting to the only person there representing the community isn't relevant?

The meeting was rescheduled to address the issues brought up in the letter, which was already reported. Now, Lickers is refusing to talk about the issues publicly.

As I said, I want to ensure that I'm finding the right balance, but you can't report when you are prohibited from doing so. Am I alone in thinking that is relevant to the community?

Anyway, I don't wish to be argumentative. Thank you for the feedback.

6. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

He pronounces it as would the French -- "Gee." Not that there is anything wrong with that ;)

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you were the only reporter there, why does the lede say "reporterS"?

8. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Because I haven't edited the story yet. Thanks

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe you should consider taking yourself out of the news story --- report that the meeting was closed because Lickers and Hill had these issues to discuss, then go into the background of the story -- and come back with a column/commentary on why it's wrong for a community-owned team to close a meeting and shut out the media (you).
    If it's community-owned, you need to get some of the other people who are actively involved to comment on this sutuation as well.

10. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Good advice. I appreciate it (and will re-write to reflect it).

Draft saved Draft deleted