1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But Mom, he got to sail around the world!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Age plays a role. Your decision-making abilities aren't fully developed at 16.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What can the Coast Guard do? Do they have anything remotely close to the Indian Ocean?

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You only cover us when we get lost at sea. [/too soon?]

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So you'd be just as angry at the parents of an 18- or 20-year-old who bought their child a ship for a solo circumnavigation?

And, really, do we need the pissing match attitude here?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

High-achievers find a way. They are wired differently. Can't explain it any better than that.

Some even drop out of Harvard at age 19 to chase some silly pipe dream about starting a computer software company, becoming a billionaire and changing the world. Yeah, right. Good luck with that, Mr. Gates.

There really is a reason 1% of the people own 40% of the wealth.

6. hackcrack

hackcrack Member

That's my thought. If her life was worth enough to appease an adrenaline rush, I'm sure these well-heeled people would like to assist with the finances of the rescue effort.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have a 16 year old daughter at home. She is the best daughter I could ever hope for. And the thought of her parents sending her on a trip traveling alone in the middle of the fucking ocean, in 50 foot waves, in the middle of the winter, with the closest person 40 hours away, is about the STUPIDEST thing I could possibly imagine.

8. poindexter

Oh, for pete's sake.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Australian Coast Guard.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's fine. Nothing wrong with that.

Other people have much more broad and complex imaginations. Sometimes I wish I was one of them. A kid I sat next to in U.S. History class in high school became the founding president of Google China. I've played it safe all my life, took only one bold step in my 31 years as an adult. The bold step evolved into a godsend. And what did the "safe" route get me? A career completely at the mercy of whatever wrecking ball the Tribune Company slams into my shop every few months. Well done, BTExpress.

11. mb

mb Active Member

Dropping out of college to start Dell is bold.
    Attempting to solo sail around the world is Russian Roulette.

12. poindexter

Your (or my) career decisions are just not the same thing as this girl going out alone in the middle of the ocean at 16 years old.

Bill Gates starting MSFT is not the same thing. Gates didn't need bailing out by the Australian Coast Guard.

Draft saved Draft deleted