1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BusinessWeek's Sports Power 100

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Sep 26, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.businessweek.com/table/07/0926_power100.htm">
    I don't know how Gary Bettman merits No. 28 with the crappy job he does marketing the NHL or the WNBA president even makes it at all, but here's the list:</a>

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dick Pound makes this list meaningless.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ah, fun with lists.

Billy Beane?? How much longer does he get to skate off "Moneyball"?

I could make an argument for Earnhardt Jr. above every other active athlete except Tiger and maybe Beckham.

And, sorry, throwing in the WNBA prez at 100 doesn't cut it for me. Strikes me as one of the "cute" moves the list-makers throw in at the end to cover themselves.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

How does the Big Ten commissioner get on the list and the SEC's doesn't?

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Does the SEC have a network?

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

You could make an argument for Earnhardt Jr. over Peyton Manning? I dunno, the face of the NFL is still a bigger deal than the face of NASCAR imo.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tony Hawk over the Maloofs, Bruton Smith and Arnold Palmer... interesting

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And no Rick Hendrick ... and Roger Penske ahead of Jack Roush?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I too looked for Hendrick. I think Penske is ahead of Roush in terms of his overall business holdings (therefore clout), plus he can do things single-handedly like the Detroit Grand Prix.

As for my Earnhardt Jr. over Manning argument...I know Manning sells a lot of jerseys and moves the advertising meter, but Earnhardt's influence on millions of fans can't be underestimated either. Just watch the sales of AMP in the next year. Take Manning out of the NFL and that league is still humming pretty well, but take Junior out of NASCAR and watch the executives at Daytona Beach run for the nearest bridge.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Penske has been a strong open-wheel presence for at least a quarter-century. That must be factored in.

Nafsalon, agreed that Peyton should be bigger nationally and internationally than Junior. But in a particular region of the world, it's Junior by a landslide. You're right, but just sayin'.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Remember there are probably more kids in Tennessee named Peyton than Dale. Peyton is not a slouch in the Southeast by any landslide.

And try to make the argument that NASCAR is bigger in the southeast than SEC football and we'll go to blows :)

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

An Ameri-centric list. A guy who can levy a $100-million fine sounds would be pretty high on the list (so would someone who could pay it). F1 evidently doesn't count. Rogge at 18 is low and no way Blatter should be behind Bettman. And boxing is in the wilderness.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted