1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Business Week predicts Sun-Times' demise

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah it does. The Post folded several years ago. A good friend of mine, who is about as up on current events as anyone you'll meet, refuses to subscribe to, or even purchase, the Chronicle. Says the paper has gone completely in the shitter since the competition went away.

First thing the Chron did when the Post shut down was double its ad rates. Second thing it did was cut down the size of the news hole.

2. rascalface

rascalface Member

Didn't the Sun-Times build a new press within the last 10 years? I may be wrong, but I believe that's where they print the company's suburban papers, no?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If a city as large and diverse as Chicago doesn't have a market for two papers this business is on its last legs.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There are plenty of papers in the metro area. Many regional papers are surviving, if not comfortably. But in this market, for the Sun-Times to take the advertising hit it's been absorbing dictates adjustment or death. It sucks -- their
    local coverage outshines the Trib's, with great frequency.

Draft saved Draft deleted