1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush Meets Deficit Commitment- Early

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. With all due respect, that's bunk.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

--- Our shoddy military was in Bosnia under Clinton. How many American combat deaths were there? O-N-E.

--- I guess I must have imagined that 1991 recession under Bush41 . . . the one that basically cost him re-election.

--- Social Security revenues are STILL easily outpacing expenditures and will for several more years.

Anything else?

3. We can debate what the ratio was all we want. (Empirically, I can remember checking on the political threads a few years ago and thinking that it didn't quite reflect what you'd expect from the liberal media. But anyway.)

Bottom line, I cannot help but marvel at how many friends and family members have moved harder to the left over the last six years. Just sayin'.

Oh, and lemme beat your reply to the punch: Yeah, not enough of my friends and family members voted in '04, yada yada. Oh well, hopefully the Democrats have learned about nominating condescending Massachusetts liberals with nary an ounce of charisma.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Obviously you have never taken the time to study a federal budget.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ok What were some specific problems that the president's budget deficit created for you in the last 6 years?

As a follow up would you have been better off having more taxes taken out of your pay checK?

7. BTExpress

Of course not. It's thousands of pages.

So don't even try to insinuate that you have "studied" it, either.

8. From the Department of Defense

Active duty deaths during Clinton's first four years (1993 - 1996): 4302

Active duty deaths during Bush's first four years (2001 - 2004): 5187

Bush was fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq during his first term. How did those 4,302 die under Clinton's watch?

BTW - we are still in Bosnia. Clinton promised it was only for one year.

9. You mean the one that the media kept reporting was "the worst ever" until the day after the 1992 election, when suddenly it was "hey, it wasn't as bad as we thought"?

10. BTExpress

The number of military deaths that are not related to combat just staggers me.

Just look at these numbers. They seem incredibly high to me for disciplined young men at the peak of their physical fitness. "Self-inflicted"? What does that mean. It doesn't mean "accident." And homicide? That's a lot of homicides.

Of course, I don't know the exact total pool that these numbers are drawn from. Do reservists count? 4,302 deaths out of . . . how many people? I don't know.

1992-1996 Clinton
    Total military deaths - 4302

Due to accident - 2239
    Due to hostile action - 1
    Due to homicide - 288
    Due to illness - 774
    Self-inflicted - 906
    Terrorist attack - 55
    Undetermined/Pending - 37

2001-2004 Bush
    Total deaths - 5187

Due to accident - 2109
    Due to hostile action - 1102
    Due to homicide - 181
    Due to illness - 859
    Self-inflicted - 632
    Terrorist attack - 55
    Undetermined/Pending - 258

11. BTE - sadly when you hear about crashes that kill all aboard it is termed an accident. The training they have to do is by its nature very dangerous.

You and I disagree politically. How about we leave it at that? Otherwise this can turn into a slippery slope and I don't think either of us think that's necessary.

No hard feelings - just a disagreement.

12. BTExpress

I guess so. I just don't remember hearing about all those accidents.

Not trying to be argumentative. It's just the first time I saw those figures I was dumbstruck. I still am. I guess even peacetime is a hell of a lot more dangerous than most people realize.

Draft saved Draft deleted