1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush and congress fiddle while the world burns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 19, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That was an interesting link, Pope. Thanks for that.

As far as the moral quandries, my concern is how they can so vehemently fight for life at this end of the human cycle and be so indifferent to life at the other end of the cycle. The death penalty certainly didn't bother BushCo in Texas, and war certainly can't be considered a last resort when you pre-emptively invade a country when a) they have never attacked you; and b) they don't have the capacity to attack you. (And I'm not interested in arguing reasons here -- the reasons have changed so many times.)

If they're so concerned about protecting human life, maybe they shouldn't overlook the other end of the cycle so much. Then I could take them a little more seriously about it.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

But you'd just chuck the whole stem cell debate along with them? That's what you're saying.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Twoback's sarcasm font receptor seems to be broken.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There should be no debate when it comes to stem cell research.

Flag burning is just another drum-up-the-base issue. Think about, when was the last time the flag was burned? Think about the last time someone said they were going to burn a flag.

The whole gay marriage thing died as it should. In a few years many will be shown for how wrong they were.

It just amazes me that we have a president that has no understanding of science. None.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

Should fertility clinics create embryos for the sole purpose of destroying the embryos for stem cells? What about cloning to create embryos for stem cell harvesting? Should we start dissecting a five-month-old fetus for their body parts?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If they still haven't figured out how to sleep through the night, then hell yeah!

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He votes yes -- as long as he gets the leftovers.

[​IMG]

8. trounced

trounced Active Member

How can there not be a debate about embryonic stem cell research? I'm glad you are so willing to support this kind of murder. Do you realize how many human eggs are required for the treatments that are being suggested. It would talke 850 million to 1.7 billion human eggs to treat, for example, the 17 million diabetes patients in the US. Collecting 10 eggs per donor will require 85 to 170 million women. How much do you think that would cost?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0823_050823_stemcells.html

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Sort of like your brain.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Trounced,

I didn't realize embryos were single-cell organisms. Thanks for the lesson. ::)

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This is off the subject, but I wonder if all of the Islamo-apologists considered what would happen to two gay people who decided to hold a wedding ceremony in downtown Teheran, Damascus or Beirut, and for kicks burned the Hezbollah flag.

They would, of course, be beheaded, after a few days of torture.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought we were trying to turn the Mideast into a model of Democracy. But if Bush really wants to turn American into the Middle East, well then, bravo. He is doing a great job. The right-wing loonies are running the show there, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted