1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush and congress fiddle while the world burns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 19, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

At some point in the future, Bush won't remember anything he did during this abomination of a presidency because of his Alzheimers, which might have been prevented had the government funded stem-cell research.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So you would have our senators and representatives doing what? Individually negotating with Hezbollah?
    It's not their job.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

now let me try and get this straight, and please advise me if I am not getting this - conservatives think the root of all evil is gay marriage, flag burning and the stem cell all other things non-christian.

so is gay marriage partly to blame for the troubles in the middle east, by that thinking?

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Last week, Karl Rove –- explaining why Bush planned on vetoing the bill — told the Denver Post that “recent studies” show researchers “have far more promise from adult stem cells than from embryonic stem cells.”

The Chicago Tribune contacted a dozen top stem cell experts about Rove’s claim. They all said it was inaccurate. So who wrote the “studies” that Rove was referring to?

White House spokesman Ken Lisaius on Tuesday could not provide the name of a stem cell researcher who shares Rove’s views on the superior promise of adult stem cells.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

"Political courage?"
    "Knowing what's right?"
    The Decider doesn't have either of those traits. He does what Karl Rove tells him to do, for how long and with whom. To paraphrase Hollywood Henderson, Bush couldn't spell V-E-T-O if you spotted him the V-E-T. He'll just sign his name when Rove tells him to.
    Oh, and a great political spin photo op having those families show up for the news conference. Those in the White House are all motherless whores, running sores.

6. trounced

trounced Active Member

Show one potential treatment that has come from embryonic cells, as opposed to other stem cells.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We'd have to have an electron microscope to show you. Duh!

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yes, there are no issues in this country that are more pressing in 2006 than flag burning and gay marriage. None whatsoever.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Back to stem cells.
    Part of my beat includes high-end medical research and let me tell you. If you think any of those guys will ever for any Republican or any person who opposed stem cell research, you are sadly misguided.
    I talked to a guy, just a couple of weeks ago, who said his entire MS research project hinged on this vote. He really thinks that being able to manage MS in 10 years or less is possible with stem cell research. If they didn't have government funding, than it wouldn't happen. Pulling federal funding is like the death penalty, no one else can afford to conduct that kind of pure research.
    If you know someone with MS and probably you do, but may not know it, than you know how important this vote was. And that's just MS, never mind all the other treatments that could come along as a result.
    Bush's veto has nothing to do with science, it is purely political and, quite frankly, disgusting.
    If you know anything about stem cell research, you know that all they are asking for is what is thrown out with the garbage. Yep, the trash.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Sorry, there is very little chance that stem cells will play any major role in an Alzheimers breakthrough.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50311

Stem cells have been heralded as the great magic hope of nearly every degenerative disease, but there is much more hype than results to this point. We are finding out that adult stem cells offer benefits that we hadn't previously thought. And we can avoid many moral issues by using stems cells from umbilical cord blood and need to do everything possible to encourage new parents to donate/sell that blood to researchers. But when politicians claim that stem cells would have saved Christopher Reeve or stemmed Ronald Reagan's slide, they are pandering just as much as Bush supposedly is. The odds that stem cells will save anyone you know are astronomical -- the magic bullet solutions are generations away. And to deny that embroyonic stem cell usage raises serious moral issues is to forfeit your ability to be taken seriously on this issue.

11. trounced

trounced Active Member

They don't oppose stem cell research, they oppose embryonic stem cell research. There's a big difference.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Here's the money quote from that noted liberal Bill Frist...
    "I am pro-life, but I disagree with the president's decision to veto the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act. Given the potential of this research and the limitations of the existing lines eligible for federally funded research, I think additional lines should be made available."
    And another from Orrin Hatch, another godless liberal...
    Hatch said in advance that the veto "sets back embryonic stem cell research another year or so."

This bill had the popular support of the Senate, 63-37 and the House, 238-194. It also enjoys the support of the American people, some 70 percent are in favor. But this is what Bush casts his first veto on? No politics at play, nothing to see, move along.
    And opposing embryonic stem cell research is the same as opposing stem cell research. And what the research can do now and what it will be able to do 10 years from now are two different things.
    And as an example, are the computers now better than the ones 10 years ago?
    Do a little thinking. Or ask someone with MS or any of the other diseases that could be helped by this research. Get back with me then
    All they wanted was the trash.

Draft saved Draft deleted