1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bush and congress fiddle while the world burns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 19, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This month, with all hell breaking lose in the middle east, and everything else going on in this country, Bush and congress have worked on:

Gay marriage
    Stem cell research
    Flag burning

Remember that in November, folks.

This country is doomed.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So long as the Prez continues to kiss evangelical ass . . .

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But W didn't fiddle while NOLA flooded! He played gee-tar in Arizona!

4. Wish somebody else held some power in DC.
    Oh, wait. That can happen.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The thing is that evangelicals and other "values voters" don't see it this way. They don't see stem cell vetoes, gay marriage bans and flag burning as trivial matters to deal with while all hell is breaking loose elsewhere. They see a party attacking the world's problems at their root causes - immorality, anti-patriotism, etc. They see a clear cause and effect between things like permissiveness of gay marriage or obscenity and violence in American inner-cities, the Middle East, etc. Fix society's core values, they believe, and the rest will follow.

Just trying to show how the other side sees this. It's just a philosophy difference.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

When all these advocates for marriage start pressing for stricter divorce laws then I might buy it. But many of them are already divorced too, and instead are driven by homophobia.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Obviously their thinking is flawed in ways, just like liberals'. But I'm trying to explain, idealistically, why they think that they actually ARE trying to stem violence, etc.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It would be a fine concept if that were their aim, but it's not. Ban divorces. Ban the ownership of ALL assault weapons. Require mandatory waiting periods, etc., for all handguns and limit the number you can own. Ban all alcoholic beverages. Make tobacco illegal.

If you want to address society's ills, you can't focus on one or two things and say they're to blame. Society has been going downhill for a long time and gay marriage had nothing to do with it.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Understand, Pringle . . .

. . . but most of what they're het-up about is frankly none of their business, outside of their immediate families.

I don't tell evangelicals how to live.

I expect the same courtesy.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you asked them candidly, they don't give a tinker's damn about gays, or burning flags, or stem cells. They are throwing red meat to their conservative base so they can save their jobs.

They'll spend the rest of the run-up to November telling us how scared we should be and how theirs is the only party which can protect us from the boogeyman.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

All my political adversaries need to do is start to agree with me and the world would be a better place. [/thiswholethread]

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I guess maybe they can relate to something like divorce. Everyone has had marriage difficulties. But homosexuality repulses them because they just cannot relate to it, and stem-cell research makes them extremely uncomfortable.

Draft saved Draft deleted