1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burwell plays the race card with Mike Anderson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hate-Miser2, Mar 25, 2011.

1. billikens

billikens Member

Because some sports fans don't look at it that way, especially not initially. They feel jilted, and they're reminded that their program isn't as good as someone else's. And that stings a bit.

You're absolutely right of course, and your reasons true and based on sound logic, but you've covered sports long enough to know that when it comes to fans, logic often takes a backseat to passion.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Fan is short for fanatic you know.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think there are times when fans have a real right to be pissed, like when the coach signs the extension a few months before leaving, but this was a no-brainer for Anderson.

I'm actually happy for him because I liked watching Richardson's Arkansas team and I like that with Anderson as the coach, Richardson can be close to the program again.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No problem with Anderson leaving, but this was the third year in a row he jacked around the administration to get more money, and I think it has dawned retroactively on everyone that he was playing them the previous two times with no intention of leaving. They should have just realized he was serious about Arkansas and not gone along with it, but you know how that Walton family rivalry can get.

5. Mizzougrad96

What job did he flirt with two years ago?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yeah, that was almost weird. I don't mind what he wrote, it was just strange that it was insight, insight, insight, racist accusations, bitter rant, the end.

The end of that column looked absolutely nothing like the beginning of the column. Where's the flow?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Didn't he get the big raise and extension after the Elite Eight because Georgia was supposedly coming after him? And then Sexton planted the Oregon talk last year?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm curious - I understand that the conference moves mostly impacted football - but what will the loss of Nebraska and Colorado mean to the conference in hoops. I understand they were somewhat non-entities, but if Texas is going to keep getting richer and outpace the other schools, it makes sense to go to a conference that isn't so economically dominated by one or two schools.

9. Yes, this is the third year in a row that Anderson has flirted with someone else. I guess the dream job was just too much for him, because this isn't a better job. At best, it's a lateral move for Anderson.

10. Mizzougrad96

He's leaving a "B" program for a "B+" program, but it is a better job.

11. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

Yeah, it was Georgia 2 years ago.

If nothing else, the fans should have been prepared for this, considering it seemed like he was always looking for his next job. Anyone who was surprised or bitter about him choosing to go to Arkansas needs to grow up. And that includes Burwell for seeking out the worst of the worst to make a racial rant.

I think the Star's coverage of this has been tons better than the P-D's. Their story about the timing of how this all went down was very interesting. Plus it broke some newsy stuff, too, that they had been talking about a raise and extension for several months and had an offer on the table, and as soon as Anderson asked for permission to talk with Arkansas, the AD immediately pulled the offer.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Better? Lateral? Man, I hate hearing that. People take jobs for a variety of reasons from making themselves happy to bettering their situation. Has it occurred to anyone that he wasn't happy at Mizzou?

Draft saved Draft deleted