1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burning video files to DVD help for a moran

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Any techies able to assist a novice would be much appreciated.

Just got me a new HD camcorder (do they call them by that name, still?) and went to burn the files on DVD and, whoa! they are much, much larger. Too large, in fact, to fit them on one 4.7 GB blank DVD.

My question is, can the files be compressed so I can fit them on one DVD? The files (a basketball game) were shot with settings (I'm reading them) 1080 frame height and 1920 frame width.

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to lead a rookie around my the snout.

#feelingstupid

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Along these lines ... does anyone know how to get a recorded program off a DVR? I'll deal with converting the encoded file later, I just want the file off the DVR.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a BluRay burner.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How many bones will that run me?

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's all over my head.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

FB, was that for my question or Wicked's? Thanks!

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

More for you, although I suppose it might help him, too. A Blu-ray disc (that's the style) is the settled-upon HD disc format (like VHS won over Beta). Based on technological developments, it sounds like a 1-TB capacity Blu-ray disc is on the way.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

FB: I very much appreciate your assistance. I'm going to follow your words of wisdom...thank you!

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

FB: and, the blank blu-ray blanks aren't as outrageous as I thought they might be.

Again, thanks for helping a techie newb like me.

10. Pierdobek

Pierdobek New Member

What type of your camcorder video file? MTS? MOV?

You can use Hanbrake to compress the file to a small size, but this would lost some of quality of the original HD files.

http://handbrake.fr

Then go and use AppGeeker DVD Creator. It's user-friendly and burns videos faster compared to other software (depending on settings) to DVD. Customization of menu is simple though.

http://www.appgeeker.com/convert/burn-mts-to-dvd.html

Draft saved Draft deleted