1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Burn After Reading

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Sep 8, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair point. I'm not a fan of drastic changes from the book in movies, either. Just saying it is possible.

For me, reading Malamud's book showed me that the end of the movie version was a studio-engineered cheat. Perhaps I would appreciate the film version of No Country for Old Men better if I read the book.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Went to see an advanced screening last night.

Really, really enjoyed it, very dark, some moments of absolute hilarity, and very well acted.

CC said she forgot she was watching Pitt and Clooney because of their acting jobs.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Coens are great, although they did miss with 'the Ladykillers' and 'Intolerable Cruelty.'
    Malkovich has been in bad movies. See 'Con Air,' the Ripley sequel, 'Rounders' and 'The Man in the Iron Mask,' to name a few.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Running 75 percent on rotten tomatoes, which is a good sign. On the other hand, "Righteous Kill" (Pacino/De Niro) is at 19. Ouch.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wait, you're saying 'Rounders' was a bad movie?

Goodness me.

6. That jumped out at me as well.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I know art is a matter of taste, but saying Rounders is a bad movie is just incorrect.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Agreed. Rounders is great... especially Malkovich.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

agreed.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And, as bad as Con Air was, Malkovich was pretty good in it.

With the exception of the "make a move and the bunny gets it line" he had to read.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love poker, but 'Rounders' was no good.
    And Malkovich's horrible accent renders his scenes virtually unwatchable.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I liked Rounders in spite of Malkovich, whose hideous accent and Oreo-eating habits were pox on an otherwise remarkable acting career.

Draft saved Draft deleted