1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bunch of savages in this town

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Some punk teens decided after an exciting day of skiing that a quality pre-dinner event would be to fuck up the business center computers at the hotel The Future and I are staying.

So after a tremendous day of skiing (Saturday's skiing was awesome, btw ... no lines at the lifts, wide-open runs, beautiful weather), we walk back into the hotel at 10 p.m. from dinner and an evening walk through Breck to find a sign on the business center computers. More or less, it says, "Some teenage guests thought it would be cute to pull a prank and change the system administrator passwords on the computers. The internet does not work now. We will address this problem Wednesday."

Well, isn't that nice? So I need to check in and print boarding passes so we can fly back home Sunday night, but I don't have a printer with my laptop and I need software to use the printers in the business center with my laptop. I'll figure out the boarding passes. There's a Kinkos a few miles down the road.

I'm more interested in 1) Why the fuck are you waiting four days to fix it? Some of your guests rely on those machines/printers. Maybe wait until Monday. I get that but five fuckin' days? Seriously?
    And, more importantly, 2) Why the fuck do you not lock down system admin settings? Holiday Inn doesn't get to be pissed at these punks because Holiday Inn could've prevented this from the start. Let's say they did put a password on it. That means these punks guessed the password, likely "HolidayInn" or the name of the town. You don't have someone on staff that realizes that's just not a good idea? Maybe, "cfvsdf43" would be better. I know that's not easy to remember, and we might have to write it on some paper and post it in the managers office, but ...

Bunch of savages in this town.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So gripe to the customer service at the hotel chain.
    tell them you booked based on internet and they couldn't deliver. even tho you understand that things happen, while will it take until Wednesday.
    At best, you'll get a night out of it, at worst an apology.

3. Kill them
    Kill them all.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've always said you can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than you can with a kind word alone.

(But seriously ... laptop next time.)

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm not even supposed to be here today.

6. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

Fuck you. Fuck you pal. Listen to you trying to pass the buck again. I'm the source of all your misery. Who closed the store to play hockey? Who closed the store to attend a wake? Who tried to win back an ex-girlfriend without even discussing how he felt with his present one? You wanna blame somebody, blame yourself.

7. Did they jam gum in the CD drives?

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Well.....this certainly took a rather bizarre turn, now didn't it?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You can't just get boarding passes at the airport?

I must be missing something here.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Side of gripe with your venom today? ;)

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That's what I thought. If you have to check luggage anyway, which we always do, it doesn't actually save any time to pre-print the boarding passes.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, i don't preprint, 'cause it's one more thing to keep track of before i get to the airport. i also usually travel at off-peak times and there are plenty of self-check in lines at my airport

Draft saved Draft deleted