1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bumping the price

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mooninite, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I work for a small Gannett daily that just made the change, and it's just the opposite. The Saturday edition (we don't publish Sundays) is 75 cents at the newsstand only.
    Still, with a barren newsroom on Fridays and a cut stringer budget, this paper can be a tough sell for 50 cents.
    I should have gotten a job at McDonald's out of high school...I could probably be a manager or owner by now.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

St. Louis Post-Dispatch single copy recently jumped from 50 to 75 cents, though subscription prices stayed the same. That took effect the same weekend back in October that they finalized about 40 newsroom buyouts.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The shit is free on the intertubes!

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn skippy.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I was actually going to ask if any other papers went up for Jan. 1.

The Albany Times-Union popped from 50 cents to 75 cents in "outlying areas."

Of course, I live in an outlying area.

Trouble is, their news stand delivery up here is a little shaky anyway.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I hear the price of CB radio units is going up too.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We have spoken here of one paper that I am aware of, and this is a weekly in Northern Virginia – which is so freaking prosperous in good times and bad that it's not safe to draw too general a lesson – that went from a 50-cent paper selling 15,000-20,000 to a free model, basically the same paper still carrier-delivered, that's hitting maybe 80,000 households.

In that particular case, the math apparently worked.

I'd like to see some up-market daily give it a shot, rather than just giving up.

Draft saved Draft deleted