1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Bumped up from preps'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Aug 10, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was just using that as an example, Gutter ;D It wasn't her specifically, but a pet peeve about moving out of preps being a step up.
    And no, you don't travel -- or rarely other than season-ending tourneys. And nothing says fun like driving to Ypsilanti on a Saturday night to watch some EMU football or on a Wednesday nights for some EMU hoops.
    And Joe, you're right about figuring it out. However, its trying to figure out how to get a Friday night off from mid-August to Memorial Day that's a beeyatch....

EDIT: Just got off the phone with a HS kid for a football tab story. I will more than concede that there's a lot to be said for a beat where the interviewee just says "yes, sir." and leaves it at that.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I didn't say it - I posted The Pipeline note.
    But I would say it. I haven't read every reply but I'd guess the majority of people in the business see preps as he starting point and look to get "bumped up" at some point.
    Doesn't make preps bad.
    Doesn't make wanting to write preps for a long time, maybe forever, bad. We've had numerous discussions on here about why that works for some people. One of my best buds in the business, a guy who is very good and can work anywhere, eschewed anything but preps for the sake of his family. I admire him for that.

Still, it's a fact that most think "bumped up" is right in this case.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's very blunt. And very true.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The fact of the matter is at 90 percent of papers, preps is entry level...

Are there many aspects of covering preps that are more enjoyable than the college and pro beats? There's no question... There are also some HS coaches who try to restrict access just as much as college and pro programs...

Over the years I've been sent to write columns during the state basketball tournament and I've often thought how refreshing it is to deal with athletes and coaches who are happy to see you... Then the prep guy comes up to you and starts bitching about how he's going to go postal if he doesn't get promoted soon...

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I love preps. There are chunks of every day in which I wish I was still doing that.

6. I had an editor who loved, loved, loved preps and would get PISSED at any indication that his writers had ambitions to cover colleges or pros full-time. He thought it was uppity and elitist. Weird situation. I actually thought every place was like that until I went to my next job and it's more along the lines with the rest of the industry, in that the preps guys aren't even full-time and the SE cares about Local U, State U-a and State U-b almost exclusively.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Would you rather cover a DII school and have your story on Sunday's page 6 or a preps game and be on Saturday's front?

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

At our shop (circulation about 200K), preps plays big time on Saturdays with HS football. Solid page of preps on Sundays in the season, and online components as well like BLOGS! and net coverage.

Guess it depends on the paper. I know preps plays quite well here and it seems like everyone's talking about HS football.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Most prep writing gigs are entry-level, most prep editing positions are not.
    A preps editor at even a medium sized paper can have a fairly decent life. Not working late every night since he/she has minions for such things, the money is okay by newspaper standards and you actually can have a life.
    As the paper gets larger, what you mostly seem to end up doing is telling the stringers what to do, editing their copy, making assignments for edit and art for whatever meager in-house staff you have, writing a little and having a regular schedule.
    A preps editor at a big metro has probably the best lifestyle of anyone on staff and it is one of the best gigs you can get. That's why those jobs so rarely turnover.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If only I had some minions!

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I often regret that I forgot to mention minions when I negotiated my present contract.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

True. In the pros, they tell you to fuck off.

Draft saved Draft deleted