1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bummer. Local Barnes & Noble closing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, May 2, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's like wondering if the local blacksmith's forge closed because of the bad economy.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Luvs me some Red Box. I discovered it not long before the local Blockbuster closed over building lease rates, and I haven't missed Blockbuster one iota.

As for Barnes & Noble, the one I mentioned here is about 20 miles away. A couple years ago they took out the cushy chairs (I so want one of those chairs, btw) and I wondered then if people would stay away. The business model always seemed flawed that way. There was little incentive to buy books, though there was lots of incentive to sit in the store and read them. Nearest Borders is three times that, but there is a Books-A-Million about 20 away. I guess if I want to go buy overpriced coffee and sit in the store and read, that's where I'll do it.

Someone mentioned the strip mall closing; the B&N was next door to a Linens 'N Things that closed about a year ago.

The part I was shocked about was the location. Again, it's one of the most affluent and well-educated areas in the state. If a bookstore can't survive there, it says something.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I don't think you can blame the video companies folding on the economy. They're just way behind the times and people were fed up with Blockbuster long before you could download movies straight to your TV or get movies by mail.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Blockbuster prices are outrageous. With Netflix, paying way less than a dollar a movie

5. swenk

swenk Member

Yeah, ask your agent! :)

JR and In Exile are correct in general, but there are a few houses out there who are now paying royalties on the publisher's dollar receipts. Makes great sense for the publishers, not so great for authors, unless we can get a higher percentage of those receipts.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The reason I still prefer a bookstore to Amazon is that you can't walk around Amazon and browse the books. I like that experience, and if I don't have something pre-determined in mind to buy, that's how I often narrow down my choice.

Of course, it doesn't mean I have to buy the book itself in that store, but I see nothing wrong with those who do.

7. dieditor

dieditor Member

We're in the same boat. Our Hollywood Video announced it's closing last week – about two weeks after the Blockbuster a block away closed. So in our town it's Redbox, Netflix or the theater if you want to see a movie.

The strange thing about the Hollywood Video (and I don't know if they were/are all like this) is that half the store was devoted to video games. Separate entrance, cash register, different hours, everything. An inside archway connected to the video rental section. The video game side of the store is always packed. They do game tournaments, midnight release parties for Madden, etc. The video rental side is so empty you see tumbleweeds blowing down the aisles. I would think Movie Gallery/Hollywood/whatever could at least make some money with these video game stores.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Borders was a Starbucks-like victim of its own over-expansion when times were good, so it had a ton of debt when the recession hit. Unfortunately, it didn't have enough cash laying around to float until things got better. I always adored shopping there, so I hope some of its outlets stay open in some capacity.

Count me as another that was disenchanted with Barnes & Noble, however. And, yeah, these chains killed the Mom & Pop bookstore, so I feel about as much sympathy for them as I do for the huge grocery store chains like Safeway and Fry's weeping about Wal-Mart cutting into their bottomline.

A lot of these chains should not exist, at least not at the size they are (Circuit City is a good example). They grew when credit was free-flowing and people were buying a lot of crap they didn't need. I hope people's spending habits are changing for the better and that we're going to be a nation that lives leaner but with less debt in five years. In the long run, this creates a healthier economy.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thank you for the clarification. Next time I will contact my agent directly. :D

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I believe I have! It'll hit shelves in September but is already available online for pre-orders.

Big news - Michael Ontkean has agreed to write a foreword. :)

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I enjoy the experience of going to the book store. We have a Borders in town, which I enjoy, and a great used book store.
    If our Borders closed, I would miss it, but I'm not shedding tears.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It would solve the immigration problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted