1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bulls Fire Skiles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just checked... Floyd "resigned" on Dec. 24, 2001...

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

For what it's worth, NBA people I know say it was actually done yesterday morning or possibly after Saturday night's game. The Bulls look at the timing of the announcement as a courtesy to Skiles, thinking people will leave him alone on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Anybody have Skiles before Thomas in the first-to-be-fired pool?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm actually not that surprised. I won't be stunned if Thomas lasts the season...

5. That's Skiles' reputation, but the general opinion in Chicago was that he went too much the other direction - trusting guys like Gordon and Ben Wallace for too long in certain situations, especially defensively, based on what they had delivered in the past.

I think Skiles has grown since those days in Phoenix. Maybe too much.

That all being said, this is Paxson's mess. It's a very unbalanced team, and he's held onto assets like Gordon, Deng and Hinrich too long without making a move. This reminds me of Hendry's situation with the Cubs when he shuttled Dusty - this next hire is Paxson's last straw. Because he's next.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Wait a minute. Isn't this the same team that everybody loved going into the season? It was supposed to be full of all this young talent, a conference finals contender, etc. All of a sudden it's an unbalanced roster and Paxson's in trouble?

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The Floyd presser was the one where Krause used the word "bullshit" when addressing Marriotti. We carried it live nationwide on the station I used to work for in Canada.

We were flooded with complaints.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Krause is a moron, but anyone who uses the word "bullshit" when addressing Mariotti has something going for him.

9. The Commish

The Commish Guest

This is the league that plays on Christmas.

10. It's been well-known and well-documented for a while that they were essentially living on borrowed time without a bonafide low-post scoring threat. This isn't revisionist history. Paxson has been far too reluctant to pull the trigger on deals for guys like Garnett, Kobe, etc., etc. It was bound to catch up with him. There were plenty of Chicago media who questioned the Ben Wallace signing at the time as wasted money. And Tyrus Thomas over LaMarcus Aldridge? Horrible decision.

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Was it ripped as a horrible decision at the time? Serious question, because I can't remember. I saw both those guys play quite a bit in college and I'm not so sure I wouldn't have made the same choice. Of course, I'm not an NBA guy getting paid to make those decisions.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, it wasn't, which is why I always roll my eyes at this kind of Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Aldridge was viewed as soft and unable to rebound well or defend at all, and Thomas was said to have a much higher ceiling. Paxson rolled the dice, and it hasn't worked out yet. But Thomas is only 21; there's still time.

Draft saved Draft deleted