1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buillsh$T or Not: JFK's dark affair with 19-year-old intern

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 6, 2012.

1. I'm calling bullshit on this ... I'll be curious to see see if she provides any documentation of her claims.

http://news.yahoo.com/explosive-book-jfk-dark-affair-19-old-wh-213618770.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A little date rape is not going to change my opinion of JFK.

3. YankeeFan

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/inside_my_teen_affair_with_jfk_FGF4aS7OdoQozP4tyySsmK

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I read this yesterday. She doesn't seem to have many regrets about the experience. Enjoyed the part where she finally draws the line at "relaxing" chubby little brother Teddy.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I dunno what was intrinsically "dark" about this, assuming it happened (of course it's the Post, so they're gonna make it more lurid-sounding). JFK didn't force himself on her physically, didn't hit her, seemed like he ramped himself down in deference to her virginity. If, as I will repeat, this stuff actually happened. I mean, wow, a Kennedy not respecting his marriage vows. Knock me over with a feather.

6. YankeeFan

Let's see, he's the President of the United States, and she's a 19-year old intern. (Assuming this is all true.)

The first day he meets her, he has her invited back to the White House, where his aid plies her with booze. Then, he gets her into a bedroom under false pretenses (a private tour).

Nothing about the encounter progresses naturally. There's no kissing. No "mutual groping".

He positions her at the end of the bed, and starts groping her breasts and reaching "between her legs".

She resists. She's a virgin. She's scared.

So, he continues "a little more gently".

Yeah, I wouldn't have any problem letting my (fictional) daughter intern with someone like that.

He sounds like a perfect gentleman. It's just infidelity, not some abuse of his position, with a young girl afraid to resist.

JFK comes across as a good guy in this story.

I mean, who doesn't ask the young girl your seeing on the side to suck off your top aid on the side of the swimming pool, or to take care of your fat little brother?

This is all perfectly normal. Nothing "dark" about it at all.

7. dooley_womack1

No, it's not dark. It's adults who made choices. Albeit a lot of wrong choices. And the excerpt indicate nothing about fear. You trying to characterize this as "dark" is a slap in the face of women who have been beaten and killed because some guy wanted to stick his dick somewhere in her, and says a lot more about your politics than about the morals of a Kennedy guy, which it is well established were shaky all the way up and down the family tree. No shockers here.

And no way to corroborate if any of it is true.

8. YankeeFan

Setting aside the "truthiness" of the story for a moment. Pretend it's fiction if you please. Change the names.

It's still the story of a man in a position of authority putting a young girl in a position where she felt like she could not resist.

That's dark. That's predatory.

If the captain of the high school football team got the head cheerleader drunk, dragged her into a bedroom, and pulled this act on her, we'd call him a scumbag. He could face criminal charges.

Attach JFK's name to the predator in the story, and it's all peaches & cream. It's just a story about infidelity and "choices".

9. dooley_womack1

Not dark at all. No one was dragged anywhere. Stop the hyperbole. Implying JFK should have been charged makes me giggle.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

All these stories of Kennedy bedroom escapades make them seem less sexual and more routine, no different than going to the bathroom or brushing his teeth.

It was a different era but JFK seemed to show no concern for birth control. I for one would like more detail. Did he finish on the grill? Sheets?

11. dooley_womack1

Did he use toothpaste as lubricant?[/angola]

12. YankeeFan

Johnny, who was the quarterback & captain of the high school football team invited me to a party at his house. I was excited, because I always thought Johnny was dreamy, and never thought he's even noticed me.

When I got to his house, it wasn't really much a party -- Johnny wasn't even there when I arrived. It was just Johnny's best friend Peter, and a couple of girls.

Peter poured, and frequently refilled, my glass with daiquiris until Johnny arrived.

Johnny then invited me on a personal tour of his parent's house -- which was this incredible mansion. I got up, expecting the rest of the group to follow. They didn’t. He took me to a bedroom.

I noticed he was moving closer and closer. I could feel his breath on my neck. He put his hand on my shoulder.

The next thing I knew, he was standing above me, looking directly into my eyes and guiding me to the edge of the bed.

Slowly, he unbuttoned the top of my shirtdress and touched my breasts.

Then he reached up between my legs and started to pull off my underwear.

I finished unbuttoning my shirtdress and let it fall off my shoulders.

Johnny pulled down his pants but, with his shirt still on, hovered above me on the bed.

He smelled of his AXE body spray. He paused when he noticed me resisting.

“Haven’t you done this before?” he asked.

“No,” I said.

“Are you OK?” he asked.

“Yes,” I said.

So he kept going, this time a little more gently.

After he finished, he hitched up his pants and smiled at me and pointed me to the bathroom.

When she was finished, he was outside in the living room, where the evening had begun.

I was in shock. He, on the other hand, was matter-of-fact, and acted as if what had just occurred was the most natural thing in the world.

“Would you like something to eat?” he asked. “The kitchen’s right here.”

“No, thank you, Johnny.”

He called a cab to come take me home. And, just like that, the "party" was over, and I was on my way home.

On the ride home, it “kept echoing in my head: I’m not a virgin anymore.”

In a moment of reflection, I wondered if I could have resisted him.

The fact that I was being desired by the captain of the football team only amplified my feelings to the point where resistance was out of the question. That’s why I didn’t say no to Johnny. It’s the best answer I can give.

-- How do we feel about Johnny in this story? --

Draft saved Draft deleted