1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffett: Stop coddling the super-rich

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

One thing he writes that doesn't make sense (I think you pointed out earlier) is that his employees are paying a federal tax rate of 35%, or even 41%... the top marginal tax rate is 28%, right?

What else is he including there? These employees must be making a s-load of money of their effective rate, after deductions, is at the top or even higher than the highest marginal rate.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ragu, on the debt ceiling thread, you continually argue the old trope that the rich are getting screwed because the poor don't pay any Federal Income Tax -- ignoring that federal income tax is a very narrow measure that doesn't come close to including all the taxes paid, and that in terms of overall taxation the rates are barely progressive if they are progressive at all. Here you argue that Warren Buffett is painting an inaccurate picture by limiting his argument to the Federal Income Tax instead of the full taxation picture.

Which is it -- is federal income tax an accurate measure of taxation? No, it is not, and you are acknowledging it here.

Your own politicized agenda comes shining through.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

How can anyone disagree with this?

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sentience?

5. Point of Order

You guys can parse it all you want, but when the richest guy in the world pays the lowest tax rate in his office we have problems. Period.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why do you and Buffett hate the job creators and trickle-downers?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've never got the sense that Ragu's argument is that the rich are screwed by the not-rich not paying much in the way of income taxes. Rather, I've interpreted his arguments to be that the not-rich aren't as savvy consumers of government as they might be otherwise.

And Buffett is being disingenuous. His effective tax rate, when you factor in the fact that his firms' profits are first taxed via the corporate income tax, is much higher than 17.4 percent.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Using Warren Buffett quotes as a validation of increased taxes has become a cliche.

Are we all expected to roll over just because Warren Buffett said it.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well unless the tea party slipped one past everyone, I believe the top marginal rate is still 35%. He might be including state tax or FICA in here, not sure. Or maybe the Medicare tax. FICA and Medicare should definitely be included when anyone is talking about anyone under the age of about 55 because most of those people will never see a penny of that money so all of it is, in effect, another tax.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you understand the difference between CORPORATE taxes and PERSONAL taxes?

That is the key to what I posted.

Warren Buffett is able to minimize his personal income tax by taking huge dividends from Berkshire Hathaway. Hell, I do that with my business which is a speck of a fly compared to Berkshiare Hathaway. It at least saves me on FICA tax (I pay twice as much as most people on here, because I make my own employer contribution and my employee contribution.

My point: When Warren Buffett tells you his effective tax rate is only 17 percent because he takes dividend income, rather than taking it as taxable payroll income, he is not being honest. He is the largest shareholder (i.e. -- owner) of the company, and before he can take those dividends, they get taxed at the corporate tax rate. That is money out of Buffett's pocket. The truth is that when you count what he loses BEFORE he ever takes his dividends -- what the government takes at the corporate level -- his effective tax rate is closer to 50 percent than 17 percent. He is disingenuous when he doesn't count that taxation or explain it in those op ed pieces.

I am not sure if I answered what you asked, because I didn't understand it. Hopefully, though, my point makes sense to you.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Either way, it sounds like Buffett is willing to pay more taxes. He just wants the government to tell him to do so.

Unlike a lot of wealthy people who are whining about paying an extra 4 percent of personal income tax while shipping jobs to China and India. At least Buffett sounds willing to step up to the plate.

12. Point of Order

Corporate welfare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.