1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffalo Bills Beat Reporter- Syracuse, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 13, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

With all due respect,sometimes, there are negative aspects to a posted job that either aren't know, or, if they are known, deserve to be mocked.

For this job, I give credit in that they are being honest upfront that it may not become permanent. It's a lot better than saying it's permanent, then the writer finds himself out of work 6 months later.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Because of the 90-man training camp roster, usually no. You have to ask a member of the team's media relations staff to grab a guy for you. During the season, when there are fewer players, player access is actually better with open locker rooms.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Of course, I can't speak for the Bills. I speak from my experience covering the Rams.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

At St. John Fisher, yes. Post-practice availability on field or in front of locker room. (Before practice only if cleared with PR, and locker room/player dining room/dorms are off-limits.) Unsure how other teams do it.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This. Everyone pisses all over whatever gets posted.

The poster has been very honest about the situation. They are trying something new. He doesn't have a crystal ball to know how it will all play out. This isn't Major League Baseball where you get a five-year guaranteed contract. Yes, there are risks involved. But, guess what? That's life. You might get fired from your current job tomorrow.... no matter how long you've been there.

I can understand that someone with a stable situation may think twice about moving thousands of miles to do this. But someone else may take a flier on the thing. I'm glad people are willing to post their jobs here; I hate the reaction they draw sometimes.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Are you new here? Sorry to have contributed to getting this one off track. Would definitely be a good chance for someone who could take a risk and not have to move far.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Every poster here needs to learn that just because you start a thread it doesn't mean you own it, or get to determine where it goes.

As for the "service" you provide, you post jobs from jjobs. Big fucking deal. It's not like you are putting together some well curated list of jobs culled from across the net.

What's the value in this?

8. Someone has to hold the self-appointed role of JJobs curator. What would budding sports reporters do to find work without it?

At least add value by scouring state newspaper association websites. I guarantee there are jobs posted that pay more than most of the entry-level jobs on JJobs.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

10. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

That's a great idea, and I think you're the right man for the job!

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He's got to be the right man for some job.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's the way I remember it. The field was OK, especially if you were looking for a guy who is not in demand. The locker room was actually off limits because you had the field to get them. If you wanted a certain player, once again if they are a lesser known player, you might be able to get something after dinner or lunch if you let the PR staff know. Usually the big names were surrounded and knew it was coming.

No player ever turned me down when I asked them to speak with a media member. Even Freddie Jo Nunn the day after he had a pretty bad domestic agreed to talk. Gary Clark almost said no, but then gave a big sigh and spoke with the person.

Draft saved Draft deleted