1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffalo Bills Beat Reporter- Syracuse, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 13, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1587880

Company: syracuse.com/Post-Standard
    Position:
    Buffalo Bills beat writer
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Job ID: 1587880

Description:

The Syracuse Media Group (syracuse.com/Post-Standard) is seeking a Buffalo Bills beat reporter. We have a unique opportunity and we’re looking for a unique person.

Like other beat writers, you’ll be based in Buffalo and will attend home and road games, training camp, press conferences, etc. But while everyone is zigging, you’ll be zagging. You won’t be writing gamers and features. Your emphasis will be on our website, and you will tell stories in different ways. Stories fans want to read. Stories fans won’t find anywhere else. We have lots of ideas, and we want to hear yours.

This is a new position, and we’re not sure it’s permanent. For now it’s a full-time, temporary position. The pay is good, though there are no benefits during temporary status. You’ll work hard for seven months, from early July until the Super Bowl. Then we’ll evaluate how things worked out. Best case: Things go really well and we decide to make this a permanent job. Worst case: You have great clips covering an NFL team.

Send us your resume and links to your best work. Don’t bother linking to routine gamers or features. Send something that will make you stand out. Newspaper experience isn't required, but you should be able to demonstrate writing ability and web-style storytelling, especially in a unique way. And don’t waste time with a traditional cover letter. Just tell us in the email why you’d be a good candidate.

We’re moving quickly, so email Hank Domin (hdomin@syracuse.com) by Memorial Day (May 26) at the latest. No phone calls, please.

Syracuse Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Uh...

3. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Way too vague. Not even permanent. Flop.

4. Honest curiosity: What type of applicant field do they anticipate/hope for? The non-permanent status and lack of benefits could be a pretty strong deterrent for some qualified journalists. Then again, it's covering the NFL for an actual media outlet.

5. Decadent

Decadent New Member

The kind that doesn't expect benefits.

6. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Too many red flags considering they want you to attend games but not to write game stories, it's temporary and no real job security. I would normally be all over a football writer job, but I would hate moving the family literally across the country and do a great job only to be let go and be stuck in NY.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not a flop. They're not the first place to ever offer a temp gig. They're up front about it, which is all you can ask.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Considering the Bills' ownership and stadium situation, who knows how long there will be a team Upstate to cover anyway.

9. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

This is true, but you are limiting the selection pool because I can't see a lot of reputable writers taking this job. Sure, I can do this, but not worth moving family.

Also, why do you need a beat writer who isn't covering game stories. That's what a beat writer is supposed to do, right?

10. Decadent

Decadent New Member

I bet it's the first place to offer covering an NFL team as a temp gig.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Isn't this what the Star-Ledger said they were going to do with their Yankees & Mets coverage?

Did they do it, and how did it go? Or am I remembering it wrong?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's a gamble to move a family for a lot of newspaper jobs, let's be honest. And the team's ownership situation is a fair point.

As for the gamers, I know that has moved down the list of essentials for many beat guys. And the listing says this is a different kind of gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted