1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bud's Latest Brainstorm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The every team representation has been standard, I think, from the first game in 1933.

The everybody has to play stuff is all Cito Gaston's fault.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This, too. It's baseball's best "hospitality" event.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It was awesome as kid living in an NL town, pre-interleague and pre-bazillion-channel TV, and watching the All-Star Game. The AL was like a different universe. Wouldn't miss the player introductions for the world.

Now, meh.

Never had a problem with every team being represented, that had to happen as insurance for when a lousy team hosted. But roster expansion sucks.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When there were 16 teams it was easy for everyone to be represented. Now there are 30.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hmm. Carl Crawford sure looked like he was trying last year.

Isn't this game a big fundraiser for the Players Association pension fund? If so, it's never going anywhere, and rightly so. It's still fun to watch.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

What?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Cito Sucks [/mussina]

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Baseball must be a wonderful game, maybe the best of them all, to survive such idiot leadership for the last 20 years.

9. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

That.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's called growing up.

As a kid you do not have a vast canvas of life experience. The seasons (and everything else) are not numerous enough to blend into one another.

I could recall every Super Bowl, World Series or NBA Finals with the snap of my fingers from late 60s until late 80s. I could recall each SI Swimsuit issue in the 70s and early 80s.

Then they all started to blend together. Happens to (almost) everyone.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Michael, the HR Derby needs to be abolish if the All-Star game needs to be jettisoned.

I have no problems with the changes. I hope it forces the managers to "manage" the game (you listening Joe Torre?), and get those damn pitchers out of the batting box.

The pitchers who go on Sunday and not play on Tuesday will be a saving grace for those guys.

One wish I do have is that I think it's time to take out the home-advantage tie-in to the All-Star Game. It's served it's purpose. Who ever has the best record from the league champions, get the home field.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The year game was in Baltimore (93) he took hell for not getting Mike Mussina into the game. Mussina even started warming up in the pen to try and force Gaston to put him in. Gaston didn't and he caught hell for it afterwards.

Ever since that year managers have been more worried about getting each guy an at-bat or a turn on the hill. That's the main reason the game in Milwaukee ended in a tie. Brenley & Torre burned thru too many pitchers too quickly trying to get everyone in the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted