1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bud's Latest Brainstorm

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Surprised there hasn't been a mention of this anywhere. Bud Selig goes on a bender and decides to change a bunch of rules for the All-Star Game.
    Among the new wrinkles:
    • The DH will be used all the time, not just in AL parks.
    • The AL's DH will be picked by a fan vote, while the NL manager will get to pick his.
    • No pitchers who pitch the Sunday before the ASG will be allowed to be picked for it.
    • Rosters are expanded to 34 players apiece.
    • Each manager can designate one position player to re-enter the game in case of an injury.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2010-04-28-all-star-game-changes_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Although some of these make sense and should help avoid a repeat of the debacle in Milwaukee, I can't help but feel like it makes an even bigger mockery of the All-Star Game on some level.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't like the DH rule but the All-Star Game is the one game it should be used in every year.

And remember, This Time It Counts.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

These are all solid modifications for the event.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't it read "Latest Brain Fart"

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The best thing that could be done for the All-Star Game is abolish it. Just have the Home Run Derby and let everybody else enjoy the three days off.
    I can remember All-Star games from the 60s and 70s, and aside from knowing the American League won, I couldn't tell you a damn thing about the 2009 game.
    An idea whose time has long, long passed.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of the game itself but lots of people watch it, so it's not going away anytime soon.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't like the fan picking the DH for one team, but not the other idea, but otherwise, it mostly makes sense.

And also, pitchers ought to be able to be picked even if they pitch on Sunday. It's not fair to them if they happen to have their turn in the rotation be on a Sunday.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

A-freakin-men.

Who is going to be the one schlub that has to go back into the game after the bench players are gone?

10. Armchair_QB

The ulterior motive there is that it cuts down on the number of guys who receive All-Star Game bonuses. The standard contract bonus is doled out for being "named" to the All-Star team whether you play in it or not. If a pitcher is picked and can't pitch because he threw on Sunday a replacement is named and both guys get their bonus. Same thing for guys who are picked and can't play because they're injured.

11. Armchair_QB

I don't agree. As a kid the All-Star Game was a big deal every summer.

Even in the era of the Extra Innings Package I believe there are still kids out there who feel the same way. It's hard enough for baseball to attract younger fans. Eliminating the All-Star Game just makes it tougher.

Plus, from a sponsor standpoint, its easier to entertain them at a single site in July as opposed to two different sites over a 10-day period in October.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Nowadays,the All Star game is like youth soccer. Every team has to be represented and everyone gets to play. It kills the competitive spirit (and interest) in the "midsummer classic."

Expanding the roster to 34 players only hurts it more. MVPS are going to be some guy who gets an RBI on the first pitch of his only at bat because he won't bat any more. Or the pitcher who actually completes an inning.

Draft saved Draft deleted