1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Budget talks: This is getting nasty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When you look at the federal budget pie the reality is that unless defense and entitlements are up for discussion not much will change.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. The programs that the GOP frequently uses as red meat with regard to spending are all drops in the bucket. Reigning in spending would require some actual sacrifices by Americans, who are unwilling to make those sacrifices. They want to live in Sarah Palin's Alaska, where you have low taxes and still get an oil check once a year.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If what I read is correct, what happens on or about Aug. 2 if no action is taken is that the U.S. cannot spend more than it brings in. For the life of me I can't see how that's a bad thing.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Then you really, really need to read more.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think anyone in Congress is advocating for a balanced budget right now.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, yes some are ...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gDaUF-rod9q3LuX3NFqWFW6CBRbw?docId=2d917365518649b193d5bca1d0e89679

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.frumforum.com/how-to-make-2011-feel-like-1931

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago monthly revenues were projected to be north of $200 billion only twice in the coming six months. Monthly outlays were projected to range from $281 billion to $341 billion.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Political kabuki. That's all any of this is.

I'm beginning to think the target of "traditional" GOPers in this idiotic game of financial chicken isn't Obama at all (in this instance), but its a gambit to isolate the Tea Baggers and make them politically untenable. If Obama gets collateral damage, so be it, but I don't think he's the target.

This latest bit of kabuki seems aimed at Eric Cantor, et al, even though guys like Boehner and McConnell call out Obama publicly.

Traditional Republicans hate these Tea Bag assholes as much as Democrats do, probably more so considering they are usurping their power and splitting their party.

When McConnell says he doesn't want Republicans to have ownership of the economy, what he really means is that he doesn't want traditional Republicans to have ownership. I'm sure he'd love to saddle the Tea Baggers with it and send them on the political slow boat to China.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Remember the adage that basically the U.S. government is a large insurance company with an army. If suddenly forced to cut spending to avoid further borrowing, the question becomes, what stops? Social Security and Medicare checks? Prepare for every pol in D.C. to be unemployed if lucky and lynched if not? Defense spending? Sure, we'll let the troops hitchhike home from Afghanistan. Department of Homeland Security? That'd go over well.
    In addition, remember that the sudden loss of spending and resulting decline in portfolio value for all U.S. investors will result in less tax revenue coming in, forcing more cuts, etc., etc. It's a formula for somebody with an army to decide constitutional democracy is not working. Unpaid soldiers might agree with that idea.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think Obama and Boener already know the end game and this kabuki dance is all about pleasing their respective parties.

I would be shocked if we don't see them in the Rose Garden in a few weeks at ceremonial signing. Smiles all around.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Other than the smiles, I pretty much agree. There's no way in hell the GOP is going to put itself in a position to be blamed for a financial crisis.

Draft saved Draft deleted