1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buddy Bell done for season, and it doesn't look good

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Sep 21, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15569237.htm

I know we have a baseball thread, but this story worries me. I think of Dick Howser mainly. Buddy Bell may be manager for the worst team in baseball, but if doctors say he needs to take care of this now and not in two weeks, I can't imagine it being good.

What struck me most about the story was the Royals players. They seem to genuinely like Buddy as a skipper and person.

Get well Buddy! You don't have to be fanboy loser like me to hope this man can recover.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As an original Ranger (and thinking of another manager, the late Johnny Oates), Buddy has my thoughts.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Hope it's not serious. Get well soon!

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The idea of waiting for results on something like this sends chills up my spine.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Best wishes to a former Indian. But I'm with creole...if they're saying he can't wait for 10 more games to get this looked at, that doesn't really fall into "I'm sure everything will be fine" territory right now.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yep. I read some other guy's response to this on a message board, and he said he has something similar (not fatal but a recurring annoyance). Caused by weather change and stress, of which Buddy has seen plenty of recently.

Still, I can't help but think this isn't good. I just hope he gets healthy.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What is the urgency? That in 10 days, if it is cancerous, it could spread?

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm no expert (fortunately), but yes, I think that would be the concern.

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

no expert here either, but if it is cancer, the sooner you start treating it, the better i would suppose. if it were me, i wouldn't want to be dilly-dallying around for 10 days wondering what kind of growth is near my left tonsil.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

small note... not sure the royals are baseball's worst team.

they are tied for the worst record in baseball (with the devil rays)

and, the royals play in the vastly superior american league and have a winning record in interleague play.

they also play in the toughest division in baseball, and with the unbalanced schedule, it means they've had to play their fair share of the tigers, white sox and twins. it's their schedule. in fact, according to the rpi listed on espn.com, they're the 25th rated team in mlb

oh, and get well buddy

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's been a tough couple years for Buddy...in addition to skippering a hopeless team (sorry Hoops), I think he also lost a nephew or a cousin in Iraq. Hope Buddy's OK.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

But they really play in the most mediocre division in baseball. [/spnited]

Oh and get well buddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted