1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Budding Yanks-Rays rivalry??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by the_lorax, Mar 12, 2008.

1. vicd

vicd Active Member

Suspensions are in:
    http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/
    3 for Duncan and Cabrera, 2 for Gomes
    Listening to Gaylord Perry being interviewed right now on Tampa Bay radio. When asked what you do the next time you face Shelly Duncan, he said, "Plunk him. You have to hit him".

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I understand why Gaylord Perry said the Rays have to dust Shelly Duncan. But should the Rays send a message by dumping ARod or Jeter?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They have some talent coming up behind those guys, too. Andy Sonnastine probably isn't ready yet, but he's got some ability. I'm betting they hold David Price back a year whether he is ready or not just to keep his arbitration clock from starting. And they aren't the only promising arms.

The Rays may not "own" the Yankees any time soon, but they have more going for them than some people here seem to think.

I agree with the post above that Longoria is a key this year. So is Carlos Pena. If Pena can continue to play anywhere near last season's level and Longoria is ready to contribute, that lineup is going to be very tough to deal with this year.

Bartlett obviously wouldn't be playing much with Captain Intangibles around in New York, but he's not a terrible player. If nothing else, he gives the Rays another threat to steal 30 bases. Navarro put together a nice second-half last year, too. He's not going to hit like Posada, but he was once a pretty good prospect and could finally be coming around.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Like the rivalry between the hammer and the nail.......

5. vicd

vicd Active Member

http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/
    From Marc Topkin's Rays blog:
    "But the highlight of the morning has to be the quotes in the New York Post from New Yankees boss Hank Steinbrenner, who essentially said that since the Yankees help support the Rays through revenue-sharing, the Rays shouldn't play so rough against them.
    Seriously.
    "I don't want these teams in general to forget who subsidizes a lot of them, and it's the Yankees, the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets," he said. "I would prefer if teams want to target the Yankees that they at least start giving some of that revenue sharing and luxury tax money back. From an owners point of view, that's my point.
    "Nobody likes the brawl-type garbage, it doesn't belong in sports. And I don't want to see anyone injured in a brawl."

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hank acting like a tough guy:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03152008/sports/yankees/hank__were_not_going_to_take_it_102070.htm

7. vicd

vicd Active Member

"I gave him the back of the plate, he had room," Cervelli said.

That's new.

8. vicd

vicd Active Member

Jeff Niemann is starting for the Rays at Tampa today and the Rays have some of their larger players or less important players in the starting lineup. That first inning could be very entertaining.

Draft saved Draft deleted