1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Budding Yanks-Rays rivalry??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by the_lorax, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

Going for the glove, my ass.

If I am that kid for the Rays, and he tries to put a spike in my ballsac, the sumbitch is going down.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

abso-fucking-lutely.... give the Yankees some testicular fissures.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

That is the fucking description of "spikes up"

4. The above photo won't load on my browser, but the St. Pete Times photo actually shows blood coming from Iwamura's leg. Nice.

As far as the De-, uh I mean Rays, that division is brutal. They could win 85 games and finish fourth. (Is that mathematically possible?)

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'd like to introduce you to James Shields and Matt Garza. You might have heard of them by now.

Shields started last season 6-0, and while he wobbled a little in the middle of his first full year in the majors, won four of his last five decisions last season, while allowing only 4 earned runs in 22 innings in September.

Garza should be a solid No.3 in the rotation, after posting a 3.69 ERA in his first half-season in the majors.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

With the unbalanced schedule, I'm estimating they'd have to go under .500 against the division and over .500 against everyone else for that to happen. They play, I think, 18 games against the other members of their division, which means they would play 72 games in-division, 90 outside.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[/quote]

Granted the Rays have to get better eventually, but you mentioned the 1-3 starters. Who will they walk out there on the fourth and fifth days? How does the bullpen look if they are leading going into the seventh and eighth innings?

Also, Crawford, Pena and Upton are great players. The Yanks would love to have all three, but Navarro, Bartlett, Gomes, Floyd (old and never healthy) and Iwamura will all probably see 450-500 ABs for the Rays, and that group probably would not get 500 combined ABs for the Yanks.

The Rays might be better, but they are not in the same league as the Yanks, just like my hometown Buccos are not as well.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's a punk ass bitch move by Duncan. He needs to get earholed next time they face each other.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rays remain a bizarre team, as their field-position players appear to have been selected more for their sheer athletic ability than their baseball aptitude.
    This is an intriguing approach (also cheap, which likely adds considerably to its ownership appeal) . . . but their crappy fundamentals will continue to KILL them in any sustained exposure to real teams in games that matter.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think taking a Fosse to any catcher in an exhibition game (All-Star included) is uncalled for.

You are talking about a man's livelyhood. Were the Yanks wrong in punching back? I don't know. Maybe.

Haven't the Red Sox seemed to be throwing their weight around against the Yanks recently? Now the Rays are doing it?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Leave the Yankees alone. It's early. They have serious drinking to do in Florida, and you're asking them to put their August gamefaces on, now? Really.
    What would Mickey, Whitey and Billy say about this?

I have a pretty good idea.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Remind me again. Who's his daddy?

Draft saved Draft deleted