1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buck Showalter fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So fresh I couldn't find a link.

Guess that deluxe dinner at Tom Hicks' house didn't go well.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Found it ... Startlegram first again.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/15676647.htm

Texas Rangers — 2007 World Series Champions.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Shocking that a "great" manager like Buck Showalter has a shelf life of 3-4 years, wherever he goes.
    Yet some damn fool owner will hire him again thinking, wrongly of course, that Buck is going to turn around his poor downtrodden franchise.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

seriously. someone should write a book about the retread phenomenon of professional head coaches and managers. it's one thing if they win everywhere they go but how does a guy like buck showalter keep fooling GMs? do they not check references?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

FWIW, i've always considered control-freak buck a way overrated manager. his primary gift? wooing sucking up to n.y. types like loopy and michael kay. he wears on players/owners in short shrift, ala billy martin -- only he NEVER wins a damn thing.

welcome back to espn, buck. good luck in your next gig as a third-base coach.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Yeah, like Torre, McKeon, Belicheck, Shanahan etc.

Showalter will turn your team around, and get them from terrible to pretty good within a few years, then he'll drive everyone nuts & get dumped. If I were a bad team, I'd hire him for step one. Think Marty Schottenheimer.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Guy -- I think that he is Mike Fratello or Hubie Brown of managers.

Torre is an interesting guy -- he was dismal with the Mets and the papers killed his hire. Now he is bulletproof. He could pitch Giambi and no one would say anything.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The Texas Rangers are Satan.
    Methinks guys got tired of the clubhouse evangelism (fine when it's organic from the players themselves, butb when it comes from above...).

9. standman

standman Member

Absolutely. His nickname should be Buck the Builder. Too bad his personality doesn't allow him to see the final product.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

standman, you asked and ye shall receive....

[​IMG]

Hi, I'm Buck the Builder. Today we're going to build a baseball team. Later, I'll piss everyone one so that I can get fired. C'mon and help me out!!!!

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Where do the Rangers go from here? Does Orel Hershiser apply for this job so he can get the hell away from Berman?

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Mindless, cliche rip of Marty Schottenheimer.

I mean, puhhhlease.

He got derailed from the Super Bowl by the shittiest luck in history, and now someone who really isn't paying attention is insulting him by comparing him with never-done-shit Showalter?

Draft saved Draft deleted