1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BSC pulls plug on men’s basketball, baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubba Fett, Jun 15, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Most people would be rather surprised to learn the number of schools out there which are losing money on athletic programs, especially the second- and third-tier D-I programs. When you total up the revenues and expenditures for all sports and take nothing else into account, a very large percentage of these schools are losing money by the millions.

The question is how much of that lost money is regained by the athletic department elsewhere at the school. Having the football, basketball and baseball programs increases the enrollment at every university. Once you start looking at how many grants and federal dollars are received because the athletic department boosted attendance and allowed the school to field more majors and apply for more money, it's a tough equation to figure out.

I think that's why so many are reluctant to give up on athletic programs or even move down a division or two. They simply can't calculate how much of an effect those moves will have throughout the university. I guess BSC is about to find out. And I'm sure a number of other schools will be watching closely.

3. This should be a caution to anyone who advocates opening up the NCAA tournament to all Division I schools. It's the basketball pie that gets places like BSC wandering into Division 1, where they clearly don't belong.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pin this one where it belongs -- on the new president.
    He came in in January and discreetly asked the NCAA about what happened if it went D-3.
    The athletic director didn't know a thing about this until a week before it dropped, when the school not only announced the move, but decided it would add football -- also a surprise to the AD.
    Players have been leaving in droves and this week, the baseball coach left for UAB. The basketball coach deserves a better fate, but the move was so late in the year, he wasn't going to get a D-1 job.
    You might save scholarship money, but you're still riding busses and have to pay for travel and other expenses. And if you add football, what cost saver is that? There is no football field, no coaches, no nothing.
    When the school made the announcement, board members were shielded from the media. One tried to cite 1st amendment to the cops, who said "private college -- leave or be arrested."

5. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

BSC didn't go about this real well, but the institution is a much better fit for D3. It will be joining a conference with other colleges in its peer group -- adcademically selective liberal arts colleges in the South.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Just goes to show, for every Belmont there's 10 BSCs.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Amen to that.  For every Winthrop, there's a ND State, SD State, and Colorado College who think they can ball with the big boys.  Sometimes it works, most of the time it bombs.  I expect ND State and SD State to come crawling back to D-2 in the next 10 years. 

Who ever is telling these small schools that their chances are good if they move up to 1-A, should be fucking beaten with a cane and be left for dead in the Sahara. 

http://www.d3football.com/ Scroll down a little bit to the BSC headline

Over the last several years here in Iowa, a D-2 school (Morningside) and a D-3 school (William Penn) moved down to NAIA, while Upper Iowa moved from D-3 to D-2.  For Morningside, it was competition and economics.  Outside of men and women basketball, the Chiefs, uh I mean the Mustangs, have been getting hammered in athletics by the likes of the Fighting Sioux, the Coyotes, and the Jackrabbits from the Dakotas.  Simply put, they couldn't get the players to compete in D-2.  They were getting D-3 and NAIA-caliber kids. 

William Penn just sucked in everything that was related to the Iowa Conference.  Shit, they were so bad, leaving the conference was the best thing that could have happened for the league.  Coe and Cornell left the Midwest Conference and joined the IIAC, and then Upper Iowa bolts to D-2, so they could offer athletic schollies and easily get the JUCO kids from California and anywhere else that would be interested in playing in tiny Fayette. 

Back to BSC, they had to.  If they can't compete in D-1, why continue to bleed out to stay with 'Bama, UAB, and Auburn?  Everyone will have to sit for this upcoming school year.  The administration made the right decision, but they could have done this in a more coherent manner.  Come up with a 2-3 year plan in phasing out of D-1 to D-3 without doing major harm. 

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No one around, other than the athletes, had a problem with BSC dropping.
    But they blindsides the athletic department, did it at the end of the school year, screwed over coaches in getting new jobs and athletes a chance to transfer with scholarships.
    The administration fucked with lives and futures and that's what sucks.
    If I'm Duane Reboul, I sit on my ass for the next nine years, become a volunteer coach at a place like Samford, speak to groups and clinics and make those ratbastards pay me every dollar of the $200K salary they signed me for last year.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Trouble is, they will eventually get a D-III team going, and he'd be required to coach it then. And he's qualified for much better.

Little did I know when BSC used to charge $20 a throw for Legion Field parking that it really was keeping the school afloat.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd love to see him get paid $200k at D3

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Saw BSC in hoops a few years ago, they weren't terrible.

And ND State and SD State will stay Division I.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Many people thought Cal-Davis should have stayed D-II, especially the Stanford fans and alums after Davis beat the Fighting Trees last season in football.

Draft saved Draft deleted