1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bryant Gumbel calls David Stern a "plantation overseer"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Care Bear, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]Gumbel calls out Stern on HBO's "Real Sports" last night:

"Stern's version of what’s been going on behind closed doors has, of course, been disputed. But his efforts were typical of a commissioner, who has always seemed eager to be viewed as some kind of modern plantation overseer treating NBA men as if they were his boys. It’s part of Stern’s M.O. Like his past self-serving edicts on dress code or the questioning of officials, his moves are intended to do little more than show how he’s the one keeping the hired hands in their place."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/10/hbos-bryant-gumbel-calls-david-stern-a-plantation-overseer/1

Gumbel rears his racist head once a year to make an incendiary remark. He really is an ass hair.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's really tough to pick sides in a fight between Gumbel and David Stern.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Gumbel has always been a grenade thrower.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Please, GC, I anxiously await your flow chart on the similarities between NBA players and slaves.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He basically said the same thing about the NFL labor situation a few years ago, that Gene Upshaw was pretty much Paul Tagliabue's house "n-word" and someone with balls needed to stand up for the players. I agreed with Gumbel then.

Not so sure this time, though I don't follow the NBA as closely as I do the NFL. But I think the general consensus is that the players need to give something back this time.

7. Mizzougrad96

Skin color? :D

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My name is Bryant Gumbel,
    with perspective I fumble
    I'm not a big ol' phony;
    I'm just a one-trick pony

9. Mizzougrad96

"The day's never finished... Massa's got me working... Someday massa set me free..."

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I happened upon that last night; assuming it was a rerun (they usually are!) I was shocked I hadn't heard about this rant yet. It was pretty out-there. As in fireable out there.

And when he's fired, he can join this woman in ranting about the zionist Jews like Stern printing money...

http://socalmediawatch.blogspot.com/2011/10/studio-11-lareally.html?spref=tw

11. Mizzougrad96

No way in hell is he fired. Hell, I'd be surprised if he even apologizes.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted