1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bryant Gumbel battling cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/12/08/bryant-gumbel-reveals-that-he-had-cancer-surgery/?icid=main|main|dl2|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tvsquad.com%2F2009%2F12%2F08%2Fbryant-gumbel-reveals-that-he-had-cancer-surgery%2F

Part of a lung? Uh-oh.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Keep Pounding, Bryant.

As much of a polarizing broadcasting figure as he can be on this board, his HBO series "Real Sports" is must-see. Fantastic stuff.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Best show on TV

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, it's pretty fantastic.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It's pretty amazing not only that he is working after having cancer surgery on his lung and chest, but it also shows how far medicine has come in such a short time. I'm probably in the minority, but I've always liked him - his spray-painting his legs where socks should be on Letterman many, many years ago sealed the deal. And, of course, I also love Real Sports. Here's hoping Gumbel continues with his fine recovery.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wonder what Mom thinks?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time comprehending how you can lose half a lung. I always figured it was an all-or-nothing proposition.

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The lungs are divided into a variety of sections. The right lung has three lobes (upper, lower and middle), the left has two (upper and lower). Each lobe is further subdivided into lobules and then into smaller and smaller sections.

Cancer surgery tries to take out all the abnormal tissue as well as a ring of normal surrounding tissue. That may mean removing all or part of a lung section. The goal is to minimize removing normal functioning lung.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

What's the evolutionary explanation for the lungs being divided differently like that?

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My dad had the lower lobe of one of his lungs removed (it wasn't cancer and I can't remember why). He functioned perfectly normally after the surgery and said he never noticed a difference in his breathing or lung capacity.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, was that ever well fucking struck.

I was going to type I hope his family treats him better than he treated his Mom, but you said it much, much better. I was 14 or 15 when I read that story and it has stuck with me ever since. I've never respected the guy. How does someone treat his own mother like that?

Also worth reading to remember when Rick Reilly was throwing 99 mph on the corners.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1067784/index.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted