1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce: Giants Stadium farewell

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Jun 1, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Turns out Springsteen should stop listening to whatever marketing asshole is giving him advice. Turns out that Sept. 30, Oct. 2-3 are NOT the final/last-ever concerts at Giants Stadium.
    The Springsteen concerts Oct. 8-9 are. Those go onsale Monday June 8 at noon.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Hadn't seen that. he's really jerked the chains of his fans too many times with stunts like this, especially in the NYC area. He pulled the same crap with the Shea shows in 2004.

3. EStreetJoe

I don't remember that happening with the Shea shows in 2003.
    I do remember it happening with the Giants Stadium shows in 2003 where they announced the 7 July shows as "Final Area Appearance" and then a week or two later adding three August dates at Giants Stadium. They might have then added the Shea shows after the 10 at Giants Stadium sold out but I don't remember if they added them then or if they were announced around the time of the initial 7 at Giants Stadium.

4. Webster

They added at least one Shea show after the fact and there wasn't any advance publicity. It was a tour closer, so people made sure that had tickets to the last show and then had to buy again.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

The three Shea shows in 2003 were announced right after the 3 August shows in Giants Stadium were announced.

this move is similar to the Billy Joel final show at Shea last year ... then they added another final show the next night after the first one sold out

6. Webster

http://www.shorefire.com/index.php?a=pressrelease&o=66 (first two Shea show). Tickets go on sale and that afternoon he announces the third show -- http://www.shorefire.com/index.php?a=pressrelease&o=65 (last show)

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I didn't try for the ones on sale Monday. Just figured I'd get a drop or something from someone selling closer to the event. But now ... a weekend show? I might just give it a shot.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So much for the idea of a September swing through the areas missed in the spring. Pretty much irrelevant for me anyway.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Basically, the tour ends Aug. 2 in Spain.
    The Giants Stadium shows are a separate entity.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ugh. Don't remind me. I knew McCartney would play the final show, but when there's "one show only," what can you do? Get the tix to the "one show only." It sells out in a second and he adds a second show. I'm about to lose my job, can't afford two shows. So a good friend texts me at like 11:30 on the Friday show: "MCCARTNEY!!!" Fuck.

In Joel's defense, I believe he said they added the second show b/c they feared too many tix had fallen into the hands of scalpers. Is that true? No idea, but Joel always struck me as a pretty honest guy. Of course, given Springsteen's history of adding shows after the "final ones" have gone on sale, I'm not sure we can give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

11. EStreetJoe

There's going to be an August or September swing through the states to hit the big markets and secondary markets they missed the first go-around. Yesterday late-August shows were announced for Massachusetts at the Verizon Center (formerly the Tweeter Center, formerly the Great Woods Ampitheater).
    Smart money says that shows in Detroit, Cleveland, Florida, Philly and other markets will be announced in the coming weeks.

12. Webster

That was from the '03 Shea release. I was just showing that Bruce has played this game before and has really burned some good will among the hard core fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted