1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Feldman suspended (Update: Moves to CBS)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sctvman, Jul 14, 2011.

1. sctvman

sctvman New Member

Bruce Feldman, one of ESPN's best college football writers, was suspended from ESPN in a conference call this morning because of his involvement in Mike Leach's book.

He has been banned from writing for any ESPN entity, is forbidden from appearing on any ESPN platform, is not allowed to Tweet from his Twitter account nor participate in any promotion of the recently-released book in which Feldman played a role.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/bruce-feldman-suspended-indefinitely-by-espn-29786

Very interesting. ESPN shows their power.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Re: Bruce Feldman suspended

Before passing judgment, I'll wait for Grantland's take on this story.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So he got his bosses' approval, yet they suspended him anyway? Fuckabuncha ESPN.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it's not like he had been wildly promoting it, either. I follow Feldman on Twitter and read virtually everything he writes for ESPN Insider, and I didn't know until just now that he co-authored the book ...

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

The original link doesn't clarify, so maybe somebody here can. Is ESPN setting new policy with regard to their reporters/talent working on or writing books about subjects they cover?
    How is this different than Forde's book with Pitino?
    Jeter didn't cooperate with Ian's book, from what I understand, so I'd assume that situation is different than Feldman's.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Somebody help me here -- Why was he suspended? I can't figure it out reading the story. Was there Leach criticism of ESPN in the book he objected to?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ginger, ESPN is punishing Feldman because Leach ripped Craig James.

That's all it can be since he got prior approval to do the book.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Leach has also ripped Joe Schad — who did the bulk of the reporting on the Adam James controversy and Leach's firing from Texas Tech — and just about everyone involved in ESPN's college football coverage.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

On the face of it, this is so stupid I would suspect Gannett's involvement.

I wonder, then, if perhaps there's some missing piece other than what's in the Deadspin piece.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, gotta be this, that James bitched up a storm.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This is stunning and surprising.

The Bristol suits looks like asses right now. Never in the wildest dreams would they imagine how much shit Leach has on them, and possibly how much work Feldman put into co-writing the book.

I can see James running around ESPN screaming to everyone, "hey, did I tell you how I'm going to do everything I can to blackball that goofy fucker once and for all, after the mean things he said about me this week?"

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is really odd. Lots of questions. Why would ESPN wait till now when the book comes out. If Feldman did not have approval why did he go through with book? Does not seem worth the risk. Deal can't be worth more than 15 to 20 grand to Feldman.

Doesn't ESPN have their own publishing company. Maybe they were upset that Feldman went to a competitor.

Draft saved Draft deleted