1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Bochy, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tarheel316, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love these threads when there is something legitimate to debate and discuss. It's been a long time since we've had a legitimate one.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Where's the "Can the Giants repeat?" thread? C'mon, it's been almost 12 hours.

One former boss wants the "Can they repeat?" online poll up one minute after any title is won.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I think if he quit today, even with two titles in three years, he likely wouldn't.

But at 57 and with plenty more years to go, I think he'll be a shoe-in.

He's probably the best manager in baseball right now.

4. Mizzougrad96

I think there is a big difference between winning two titles and winning three.

There are mediocre/good managers/coaches who have won two titles. I don't know if you could say the same thing about someone who has won three.

5. Riptide

And if Bochy's in, is Terry Francona in?
    I'd expect an outstanding record over a long time frame, too.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think Francona's in no matter what the electorate decides with Bochy. Getting the Sawx two rings is likely enough.

7. Riptide

Francona's bust: "Restored World Series glory to Red Sox. Lost team over chicken and beer."

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I said this on the other thread, but if people actually looked at the manager's contribution to the World Series, Bochy would get in in a heartbeat. He isn't looked at widely as a great baseball mind -- honestly I think part of it is because of how slow he talks -- but this is twice now that he has pulled strings to get the team a lot farther than it otherwise would have gone.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I would guess his credentials compare favorably with, say, Lasorda's.

So, with a few more years in, absolutely.

10. Mizzougrad96

Which recent managers are in?

Has anyone gone in since Sparky Anderson?

I know Lasorda is in. I'm pretty sure Earl Weaver is in.

Torre will get in. LaRussa will get in. I'm assuming Bobby Cox will get in.

Is anyone else even close to being a lock?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think this one is a good one, for the same reason that I thought Beltran was a legit one - because a major sports media outlet had a story about it. Today, it was ESPN.com. With the much-mocked Beltran thread, it was SI. I thought the Olerud one was fair because it was based upon a Posnanski column.

Otherwise:

* The Dwight Evans one was probably the best one we've ever had. I seem to recall a pretty good Mike Mussina thread, as well. Or maybe David Cone. Maybe both.

* The Josh Hamilton one, which was locked in like 15 minutes, had a lot of potential. I thought it raised an interesting point - whether Hamilton's drug past would work for or against him, should he string together the hitter's equivalent of a Sandy Koufax stretch. We could have easily changed the thread title to, "How does Josh Hamilton's past affect his legacy?" and no one would have batted an eye. Instead, it pissed Moddy off something fierce. Live and learn.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Pro's
    2 World Series titles
    3 National League pennants
    6 NL West Division titles
    4 90+ win seasons

Con's
    5 90+ loss seasons
    .502 career %
    10 games over .500
    90+ loss seassons > 90+ win seasons
    0 100-win seasons

With the Giants core players between ages 23-28 it wouldn't shock me if Bochy wins another World Series title with these group of players.

Draft saved Draft deleted