1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bruce Arena Out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Won't coach the US team anymore.

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Bring on Klinsmann and an offensive-minded attack.

Nice run, Bruce.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

4. KP

KP Active Member

Obviously Cali Klinsi is choice 1-100. But if USSF can't lure him, then who?

Steve Nicol? MLS-based, highly successful as a player in Europe (Liverpool, Scotland), but no national coaching experience
    Bob Bradley or another with Arena roots?
    some national jumper along the lines of Bora?

5. Almost_Famous

Klinsmann left behind a LOADED Germany squad. Don't you think it was for this job?

I hate speaking in certainties, and hate when others do it ... but this has to be a mortal lock.

6. KP

KP Active Member

One would hope/think so.

7. Now that it's done, I sort of have a sinking bad feeling ... For as much as the most recent Cup was a disappointment, this is the most successful domestic soccer coach we've ever had ... at Virginia, at D.C. United, for the U.S. national team. I'm sorry to see him go.

Unless, of course, they get Klinsmann. If they do, I make this move 10 times out of 10. If they don't have Klinsmann already lined up ... wouldn't have let Arena go.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Has anyone ever coached a national team in 3 straight Cups?

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I was pleased with Bruce Arena's overall results, but I do think it was time for a change.
    Let's just hope it was a change in the right direction.
    Coaching a national team for eight years is very difficult. Coaching it for 12 is nearly impossible. There's a reason these guys move around so much. I hope Bruce gets a great job and continues to contribute to the growth of U.S. soccer.

10. KP

KP Active Member

One would think NY will throw big bucks at him now and try to right that ship.

11. Almost_Famous

No doubt about it - he had a good run. 2002 may have been the high water mark in us soccer history.

the thing about klinsmann - there's going to be big pressure on him to produce. if the US doesn't get out of the 1st round, i would say he's ousted.

i heard freddy adu played a strong game this week against a good foreign team .... klinsmann shoudl make a special trip to DC and assure the kid he is in the US future plans, and that he shouldn't entertain offers from the ghana national team.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Klinsmann could get that done with one quick call to Beaverton, Ore.

Draft saved Draft deleted