1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos cornerback killed in drive-by

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fromdawntodesk, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Different circumstances - a plane flying into a building in NYC is going to garner tons of attention regardless of its pilot. THAT was the peg moreso than the pilot, though that become huge as well once his identity was known.
    Also, it's early. This is just breaking. It will pick up steam.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When did Denver become South Central?

My God... RIP...

3. obviously we don't know the details.... but 2 a.m. on new year's eve and renting a limo is far from irresponsible for a 24-year-old. it's just the opposite. hell, i'm kissing 40 in the lips and i left the bar across the street from my crib at 1:30 a.m.

at 24, but for the grace of god there go i..

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That singer, Marc Cohn was shot in the head there as well... Fortunately and miraculously, he lived...

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

OK, OK, knee-jerk reaction by me for 2am being late. It just seems like violence involving young athletes has been at an all-time high over the last few months. I'm not "damning" him, but I figure high-profile athletes would take a little more precaution with what they do at night. Oh, well. Still, say a couple of prayers for him and his family.

6. Phila

He did take precautions. I respect the fact he wasn't driving. He was in a limo headed home when some gun-crazy American opened fire on his limo. Maybe it was a beef from the club that spilled over in the streets. Or maybe it was just another random act of violence in America. You're not safe anywhere in America. Maybe you've heard about the kids who open fire in schools in the middle of the day?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What happened to Hodge? When he was at NC State I thought he was going to turn into a really good NBA player. Wondering why I never hear about him.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

J-Dub

Yeah, I've heard about those wackos in Littleton and Lancaster, PA. And I'm also glad that Williams was smart enough not to drive himself that night, especially with all the snow on the ground. I guess I'm just trying to say I'm sick of all these athletes either committing acts of senseless violence or becoming victims of it, regardless of what led to it, that's all.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I see your point. The guy seemed to take precautions. It's terrible that he was killed, but I think we should give PhilaYank some credit for recognizing that athletes, musicians and Hollywood types repeatedly put themselves in high-risk situations. It doesn't mean that they deserve what comes to them. That's never the case. After all, they are simply doing things regular folks take for granted, but that's not always a wise decision for athletes. They tend to carry jewelry and wads of cash and credit cards. Add to it the egos, or at least perceived egos, that some of these athletes have, and it's a volatile mix.

There is a price that you pay for being a star, and part of that is losing your anonymity. Unfortunately, too many young athletes don't recognize the danger that comes with fame and fortune. And who can blame a guy who spent a childhood in squalor? I don't know whether Williams fits into that category, but many do. And it's only natural for them to strut around town in their fancy cars and spiffy duds.

It's human nature. A 16-year-old kid in my neck of the woods received a fast car for Christmas. He died that same day in what is being dubbed a road race. It's immature, but it should be expected from young folks. They have a completely different set of values.

What is most disturbing about this case is that the guy wasn't just out partying on a general night. It was New Year's Eve. One would think that an athlete could, at the very least, enjoy a holiday on the town without it ending in tragedy.

By the way, I'm entertaining all who seek to fill columnist openings.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Wasnt Joey Porter also shot in Denver?

There is violence everywhere in this country, there's no way around that. I mean, I live in a small city right now (50,000+), and there's a McDonald's across the street, and there were like 3-4 deaths in the parking lot last year (all drug related).

It's a sad state of affairs right now, folks, regarding violence in this country. Prayers to Williams' family.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Violence like this has, and always will, happen. We should start worrying when the car bombs become a regularity.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

When will this country wise up and just take all the guns away?

Second-amendment honks, stay away. If it wasn't so easy to get guns, we wouldn't have this needless violence.

Draft saved Draft deleted