1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broncos beat reporter, Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Emory is a great school.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I think David Jones at Florida Today, Andy Staples in Tampa and, for more old-school types, Matt Hayes formerly of Jacksonville and Chris Harry (now with Orlando) would strongly disagree with you.

rb

3. Mizzougrad96

Joe Schad and Jeff Darlington would probably disagree as well.

4. Plus, Urban Meyer is the head coach there now. Right?

5. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

David Jones
    Chris Harry
    Joe Schad
    Jeff Darlington
    Joey Knight
    Andy Staples
    Matty Hayes

They all broke quite a bit of news despite not being the columnist at the locak rag.

Hell, Lindsay's predecessor did pretty well on that beat.

I never said she's bad or that she can't write. I'm just saying that she has never broken news on that beat.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

She is a native of Fort Collins.
    And this is the backup position, not the No. 1 slot.

7. gridiron

gridiron Member

This is not at all a knock on the person who got this job. I know nothing about her. But I can tell you that Denver disregarded a handful of experienced and interested NFL reporters on this one. I'm pretty sure it had to do with what kind of $$ they were willing to offer. From all indications, they set the bar somewhat lower than you might expect.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I know nothing of the people who applied.
    But just like NFL coaches, sometimes teams don't want retreads. Just a thought.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Valid thought, MU. And for a backup slot sometimes you're looking for that team player. Can be a very different kind of hire than the No. 1 big dog.

10. Mizzougrad96

They were telling the candidates that it was a split beat, not a true backup job.

I also heard that saving money was the primary reason for this hire, which is not to say that Lindsay is not a talented young writer.

It's not the first time a hire was made to save $$$ and it won't be the last...

11. Mizzougrad96

According to a PM I just got from someone pretty close to the situation, the new hire is being paid $25K less a year than the last guy was getting.

Based on the experience level of the last guy and that of the new hire, that certainly doesn't surprise me.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Job has been filled, congrats to Lindsay. Wouldn't know her if she slapped me upside bald head but those I know who do know her say this is not a leap or a reach. They're sure she will do quite well and I trust their judgment.

From someone I trust very much: Lindsay is good enough to make some things happen once she gets her feet under her

So we'll move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.