1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bronco Meltdown Post Mortem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 4, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

good points, and I'll only quibble with one item: I listen to a lot of Las Vegas sports books directors, and the Wynn and LVH didn't even want 'even' money. Books are not afraid to take a side, and at least some books had no problem taking more Denver money. If they wanted to 'even' it, they would have moved the spread to Denver -3 - but they didn't.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No, the score was shocking. No one saw that coming.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There was one guy at NFL.com who predicted Seahawks 38-12. I will accept his gloating.

Everyone else can get bent if they even pretend they envisioned that.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Broncos D did not help. Even though both drives ended up in field goals they let Seattle
    run of drives of 11 and 13 plays. 26 of Seattle's 55 offensive plays were in 1 qtr.

Game also highlighted importance of field position starting with poor decision of Holliday
    on opening kickoff, leaving Bronco O starting on14. Also bad punt by Colquit in 2nd series
    letting Seattle start on 35 instead of inside 20.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I don't think that Seattle necessarily had to play an absolutely perfect game to beat Denver. The fact that the Seahawks DID play a perfect game is what made the score so out of hand. I felt the same way when the Broncos scored as I do when a no-hitter gets broken up after the seventh inning.

6. LongTimeListener

Before they scored, I was wondering if the Broncos would go for it on a long fourth down or just take the FG to end the shutout. Would have been a very interesting call.

As it was, they did provide square-pool drama by scoring (and getting the two) on the last play of the third quarter.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't see where this game taints Manning's legacy, in that the breakdown by every Bronco was so complete, I'm not sure Manning at his best could make much of a difference. Of course, he wasn't at his best. With his receivers not able to get separation, it became that much more apparent that his arm doesn't have the zip it used to. Being 37 and coming off of neck surgery (when he couldn't throw a ball 10 yards at any speed) will do that to you.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You do realize Seattle played two of those three, right? Plus teams like Tampa Bay, Atlanta and the Giants?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it taints his legacy. Is that fair? I don't know...

It's not like it's going to cost him the HOF, but you're not going to be hearing Manning GOAT references again anytime soon.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agree completely with this. I posted something to that effect while the game was going on, that while Manning wasn't very good, this wasn't entirely his fault. As you said, all of the Broncos played like crap.

More than that, the Seahawks played the game of their lives. That defensive effort -- hell, the total effort -- was on the same level as Villanova shooting 78 percent against Georgetown in 1985. It was a very good, championship-caliber team playing at its absolute peak when it mattered most. I'm not sure this year's Seahawks are among the greatest teams of all time, but for four hours on Sunday they certainly were. The way they played in that game, they could probably beat most of them. Denver would've had to play an equally perfect game to have any chance, and obviously they did not.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Batman-
    Seattle also played San Francisco three times, a very good Arizona team twice and Rams squad better than people think.
    At the end of the day, Brady's teams never crapped their pants like this, in the biggest game of the year.

12. LongTimeListener

But that beatdown wasn't worse. Halftime score, third-quarter score, final score were all substantially closer, as was the entire tenor of the game. (The Raiders actually led briefly, and it was tied after the first quarter.)

Draft saved Draft deleted