1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broken laptop screen. Help.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Mar 9, 2009.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

1) Dropped my computer.
    2) Inside screen broke.
    3) Worth fixing/Is it fixable/How much will it cost?
    4) Toshiba customer service rep "Bob" was not a big help.
    5) Turned to you.
    6) Help.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb is that fixing not worth it. Better putting money towards new system. I fixed one and it cost $700 .but it was a relatively new system and it was business expense.

If you have not already done so hook up to another monitor to be sure there is nothing else wrong with system.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

A few years back a storm zapped my monitor. The computer worked fine, but you could barely see the screen. Would have cost $600 to fix. I put that toward a new one instead.

Let it go. Buy another one. That is, unless Boom, you can write it off as a business expense or if it's relatively new. Otherwise, put your money toward a new one.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

It's a three-year old computer thats just OK. Not a huge loss if I just say F it, which I think I will.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You should talk with schiezainc ... He may have a screen for you since his keyboard is f'd.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'll have to agree with Boom. When it comes to things like keyboards and screens, you're better off just buying a new system because the cost to repair something like that will probably equal or even exceed what it would cost to get something brand new.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yep.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

About six months ago, I damaged my laptop screen and it wasn't that hard to repair on my own. I got the part number, found a replacement screen online for about $180 and instructions on how to install it. Took about 10 minutes to replace the screen. I was surprised how easy it was.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sell it on ebay for 150 bucks and use the profit to put towards a new one.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That may not be a bad idea, but it is worth noting that the more "advanced" of a screen you had, the more you'll likely have to pay. Nowadays they have the wide, high-resolution screens that are pretty pricey.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Screen yes, keyboard no. I've swapped out several on my various laptops, and never paid over $50 for a replacement.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My iBook screen had an unfortunate encounter with my cell phone a year ago (as in I hurled the phone at it in a moment of being incredibly pissed off) and cracked the LCD. It cost about $350 to fix, but I also had a tech guy on campus who fixed it. You might call the Geek Squad and just fish and see how much they think it might be, or if you have a computer repair place anywhere near you, call them. Especially if your stuff isn't backed up, it might be worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted