1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Broadway" Charlie Wagner dies at 93

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Those of you who cover baseball (especially on the East Coast) probably encountered this gentleman on his scouting rounds. He was associated with the Red Sox for 73 years and was always dressed impeccably in a coat and tie.

He was a wonderful guy who had a great life.

His hometown Reading, PA paper has tributes:

http://www.readingeagle.com/

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I hate to see this thread without another entry. I first met Charlie Wagner at my first spring training in 1980. Like most older baseball guys, he couldn't have been more gracious and informative to a long-haired punk from an alternative weekly. Ninety-three's a damn good score in the clubhouse, especially if you had the happy time Charlie did along the course.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Fitting that he checked out at the ballpark in his hometown against the affiliate of the team he's been associated with for so long. All this, and he was on the field pregame for giving out some award.

Draft saved Draft deleted