1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Broadcasters you trust/like

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Nov 10, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watched a ton of cable news coverage in the last week (for obvious reasons) which I don't normally do. Really impressed with the "map people" who actually provided information, always like David Axelrod for his ability to provide context and perspective, but most of the talking heads seemed more interested in touting their own "contributions" to the Biden victory. "Don't forget all the (X) people who came in on this to make it all possible.

That said - really enjoyed listening/watching Shepherd Smith's new broadcast. All reporters/reporting - no talking heads or spin. He might be a little slick, but I get tired of people with pom pons sitting around a table qualifying as "news." Give me facts, tell me what is happening, not happening.

Fox News coverage on Saturday was probably the best for actual reporting (regardless of their mandates from above). And why does it seem that all of the vote-counting coverage has stopped cold? Weird.

maumann and Liut like this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I've got a crush on Gloria Borger. She's almost exactly my age, is very attractive, and very informed. Plus, she's a Colgate grad. I can envision her hanging out at the Old Stone Jug back in the day, pounding Utica Club and flirting with the frat boys she was so much smarter than.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I thought MSNBC coverage was better than that of CNN. Kornacki provided more insight than John King and MSNBC had more guests than CNN to kill time.

But one thing I think all the networks should be more transparent about the reasoning behind their call.. The process is shrouded in mystery. Have those guys explain what is going on and why they made their decisions.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Peter Jennings. Too bad he's dead.

wicked, swingline and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Geez, I didn't realize she is 68. I hope I look as good as she does when Im that age. Probably not, but here's to hoping!

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really appreciated AP News doing that.

maumann and Liut like this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My all-time favorite. His wry take on the news and the world — and himself — was my choice every evening at 5:30.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

9. I met Shep years ago when we both worked in Fort Myers (a bunch of the TV folks from then have really done well). Good guy, very straight forward with his broadcasts and approach.

Think he’ll do really well with CNBC.

Liut and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Shep should be the leader in the clubhouse.

As for crushes ... Kate Bolduan.

But Kate has chops too. As good as there is right now.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Jon Meecham replaced yours truly as 2nd string cops reporter at the Chattanooga Times back in the day. Imagine if I hadn’t quit to take a sports ed job at a start up, where would he be now?

Liut likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Former colleague of mine was a producer for Shep for a while and concurs about what an authentically good guy he is.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted