1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

British MP seeks injunction to be allowed to enter Canada

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not sure if this should be in "news" or "politics." I'll put it here in "news" and someone can move it if it's deemed better off elsewhere.

Anyway, a pro-Palestinian British MP who has booked a speaking tour here has been told he is not welcome in Canada because he has provided financial support to Hamas. He says he gave them money and supplies for humanitarian aid. The government says it doesn't matter, he's banned from entering the country. He's going to court and wants an injunction that will permit him to enter Canada for his tour.

I'm thinking he must really need the money if he's that determined to come here. One might suggest that any money he makes will just go toward his legal bills stemming from this case. My assessment is that Canadian taxpayers will be left holding that bag, as usual.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090325.wgalloway0325/BNStory/National/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

2. hickory_smoke

hickory_smoke Member

I believe Galloway's the British political equivalent of a crooked preacher. Corrupt, a womanizer, a demagogue and will do anything for attention. He appeared on Celebrity Big Brother rather than attend Parliament.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Harper government is, as usual, being a dick about this .

What a surprise.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

[​IMG]

Always has been, and always will be, a complete spanner.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I agree with JR that the government is being too harsh in the application of the law. Ironically, more people have now heard of this jerk-off than if he had been allowed to slip in and out of the country as planned. He'd have gone all but unnoticed.

That said, no one should ever just assume that they have this unalienable right to enter someone else's country, for whatever purpose. For better or worse, a decision has been made to keep someone out of our country. The government should be given an opportunity to reverse the decision, but it should not be forced to do so. If this injunction is granted, we might as well scrap all of our immigration laws and just throw the fucking gates wide open.

Draft saved Draft deleted