1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bristol (Va.) Herald Courier

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diabeetus, Aug 13, 2007.

1. How have we gotten this far into the thread without any Bucky Dent mentions?

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Is this the same position that was open, or did somebody else leave?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No one left as far as I know.

4. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

what does a paper like this pay?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

At least $25K; likely more, depending on experience.

6. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Is it an expensive area or comfortable enough for someone young starting out?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Nice bars in Johnson City (home of ETSU), about a half-hour away. Cost of living is cheap. Nice one-bedroom apts. go for about $400-450. The pay is enough to live decently in the area; you won't be eating mac and cheese and ramen, unless you want to, that is.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I can only imagine what the motor-home parties are like during the race weekends.

Screw Johnson City, you'll probably be partied out from those two weeks alone.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If you're fresh out of college, expect to get lowballed, pay-wise. That's how MG operates. If you have some experience, you can negotiate your way into some more money, but not a ton more.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Motorhome parties are definitely a good time during race week.

11. RobCrotch

RobCrotch New Member

I work for the Kingsport Times-News, and one of my better friends at the BHC resigned over the wknd. Pretty sure whoever is hired will cover East Tennessee State basketball and a lot of Northeast Tennessee preps. Not a bad gig for someone looking to gain experience in the field.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Seth Bartee resigned?

EDIT: Never mind. I've just confirmed that this is indeed the case. However, he didn't resign over the weekend; he resigned two weeks ago. But Saturday was his last day.

Draft saved Draft deleted