1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bringing Rosie into the 21st Century, aka digital recorders

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, May 10, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There is software that can transcribe for you, such as Dragon Naturally Speaking. It's not completely accurate and doesn't work very well with more than one voice:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/voice-recognition-software/

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hell, if those count *** nine. I did get them for the whole staff.

Shit, shoes? I'm away for the weekend and have six pair with me!

3. Moderator1

Off to the parties. Y'all behave. I'm recording everything.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

We'll talk real low.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Why didn't I think to ask Moddy to sell me one of his recorders before he left for his weekend of partying?

Anyways, Overstock.com has an Olympus VN4100-PC for $44.99. It has the PC transfer capability and will record up to 144 hours. I know I wanted it by Monday afternoon, but to save $40 or $50, I'll make do for a couple days. Anyone use this one? Good, bad or otherwise?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Moderator1

That's one of mine. Two of 'em actually. Very good, very reliable, very easy to use.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

The Moddy Seal of Approval is good enough for me. :)

I'll be ordering this one today.

Now I'll have to search for some coupons for Overstock. I do have one for 7 percent off.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I have an Olympus, maybe older model than that one. It's wonderful. I would never go back to tapes. The difference is like when we went from Radio Shack TRS-80s to laptops.
    You probably know this, but to me, the best thing about a digital machine is, like right now I'm doing a long feature for which I talked to half a dozen people. Each of those people is a separate "take" on the recorder. There's no running a tape back and forth to try to find them, I know, say, Joe Schmoe is No. 7 under the A folder. And you can't record over him. You can delete him, but only on purpose. Plus, the mike is way better than any I ever had with a tape machine.

Draft saved Draft deleted