1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bringing Golf To The Digital Age

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drew Bensen III, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew Bensen III

Drew Bensen III New Member

Bringing Golf To The Digital Age

Before I'm checking my swing, I'm checking the course. I'm looking for affordable prices,
    good times, and good locations. Because just showing up can be hit or miss. This is
    because I don't know if the course just aerated or tournaments are going on or there just booked.

Bogey Alerts Mobile App lets me know exactly what's going on and I won't waste time at the course.
    The mobile app helps golf courses communicate with golfers. I can literally swipe on the app
    as a golfer and see exactly what's going on at that course.

Besides helping golfers, Bogey Alerts wants to help an industry on the downswing.
    There are still a handful of golf courses in my local area that don't even use computers.
    Those courses still do many things by hand with pen and pad.

Since 2006 more than 1,800 U.S. golf courses have closed. According to the urban land institute.
    At the same time only about 550 golf courses opened. Even in my city of Charlotte while formats like
    Top Golf have thrived some traditional courses struggled. Charlotte's oldest public golf course
    Larkhaven Golf Club closed last year. And this year the announcement of the Ballantyne Public Golf Club is closing for land development.

Top Golf and them are 4,5,6, steps ahead of the golf courses technology wise without a doubt.

I feel disconnected as a golfer from the course. I don't know what merchandise is even inside the pro shop or clubhouse. Not only am I missing out on purchasing an item on sale the course itself is missing out on sales. I don't get any communication like " thanks for playing with us today." I actually can't even think of another business or industry that would let me be on their property for 3 to 6 hours and doesn't check-in with me or inform me about anything.

I don't have time with a family and work to wander or sit inside before or after a golf round. I say that because that seems to be the only way I will stumble upon any of the course's future events, sales, leagues, and other information. My playing partners and myself are all about checking in fast and getting to the first tee. It shouldn't be my job to self educate myself as a golfer. With today's technology the course should be able to see that I'm booked. This allows the course to become proactive before I arrive, while playing, and before I leave. I want the course to do well but being behind the times (while myself and fellow golfers have limited time) is no excuse in today's day and age.

Being on the course is a time where I get to enjoy comradery and competitive nature vs the course, myself, and the group.

-Grow the Game I Love.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The fuck is this?

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Reads pretty much like a news release written in first person.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Words. Words. Words.
    Just fucking words everywhere.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You're hired!

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Demonstrably hot.

Huggy likes this.
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

At least he fetched beer.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Your, not you're, apparently.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... someone going against Tom Dundon. In North Carolina, no less.

Someone who tossed aside countless millions to an upstart football league that never had a chance, yet won't pay his players and management in the NHL.

Not impressed - at all.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Finally an app to tell me people are having a tea party on the course. I always just assumed they were all golfing

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.