1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bring back the lash

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm sure people would be more inclined to put a bit of thought into their activities if they knew they'd be subjected to a horsewhipping or some other form of demeaning physical punishment for thoughtless crimes like this.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/07/03/1666201-cp.html

OTTAWA (CP) - Prime Minister Stephen Harper expressed his disgust upon learning of a man urinating on the National War Memorial.

A veteran snapped photos of the man relieving himself on the Ottawa monument on Canada Day.

Retired Major Michael Pilon says most people cheered and laughed when the photos were taken Saturday night.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Get that asshole's face out there, find him, arrest him.
    The next photo of him released should be in handcuffs and his mug shot.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

They have war memorials in Canada?

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I didn't know Ozzy was on tour.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

They ought to make this dumbass spend about 6 months cleaning toilets at veteran's hospitals and veteran's nursing homes.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If you're also bringing back rum and sodomy, I'm down with this.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In cases like this, be careful what you wish for.

Because if this happened in the US, the minute Bush blasted him we'd find out he was a homeless veteran.

8. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

We should all get a chance to urinate on Bush.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That post may have struck a new level of idiocy.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Roy MacGregor weighs in about "stupid young men'.

Can't do links, it's a Globe "Insider" (pay through the nose) column:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps it is just the Year of Stupid Young Men.

But then, what year isn't? I've had a few myself . . .

At the moment, the biggest manhunt in the history of Canada -- bigger, even, than the Liberal leadership race -- is on in Ottawa to track down three stupid, boorish, thoughtless young men who took a whiz late Saturday night against the National War Memorial.

Veterans and citizens, even the Prime Minister, are up in arms, calling the act -- and other similar acts by other equally boorish young men -- "disgusting," which it is, and "a national disgrace," which it certainly also is to those who see this as a deliberate desecration of a national monument.

More likely, of course, it was just drunks looking for a place to have a quick leak.

Ever leave your car in a parking garage and have to walk up the stairwell late at night? The difference, of course, is that parking garage stairwells aren't sacred places and, usually, there are no cameras present to . . . sorry . . . splash a photograph all over the front pages next morning.

The more alarming matter, of course, is that some of the late-night revellers were also urinating on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, a consecrated place, as if that poor brave and frightened First World War chap from Grave 7, Row E, Plot 8 had not suffered enough ignominy following his short life.

Those who want the tomb set off and protected are likely right, but the irony is that those who did offer this late-night insult to the dead were not out celebrating a World Cup victory, but the very country, Canada, this poor young man died defending.

That's why it's so hard to imagine the insult was intentional.

Just more stupid young men stuff.

That may also be what led one of Canada's 17 suspected young terrorists to allegedly brag about beheading the Prime Minister, but this falls more into the category of stupid angry young men.

The ammonium nitrate fertilizer that could be used to make a bomb is quite a different thing and must, absolutely, be taken seriously.

Yet angry young men have been saying and doing foolish things since Cain, and there is a great difference between saying and doing, as Cain himself discovered.

In another time, if I may date myself, angry young men had pocket copies of Mao's Little Red Book, talked of following Che Guevara and said the most vitriolic things against Richard Nixon.

Back then, however, it was bar talk. Today's bar talk is on the Internet, and there is a world of difference.

What used to get you thrown out or, at worst, a punch in the nose, now can land you in shackles. It is, indeed, a different world; it may, however, still be occupied by similar angry and stupid young men.

Even the Prime Minister -- who took the assault on the war memorial seriously enough to call it "a terrible thing" on an Ottawa radio talk show -- found the beheading talk a little wild.

"I can live with all these threats," he joked the day after the threat made news around the world, "as long as they don't come from my caucus." The man who allegedly made the threat is 25, roughly the same age Pierre Trudeau was when he was a stupid angry young man.

According to Max and Monique Nemni, former Trudeau acquaintances and authors of Young Trudeau: Son of Quebec, Father of Canada 1919-1944, the future prime minister of Canada was very much a jerk of his times.

He sympathized with fascism, didn't think too much of democracy in that it held back elites and even became, for a while, something that we today might call a "homegrown terrorist" in the country he would end up leading for 16 years.

As a stupid young man, he helped organize a secret, revolutionary society hoping for an independent Quebec and talked about open insurrection and a coup d'état.

In one speech he gave during a 1942 by-election, the young Trudeau called upon the crowd to "impale alive" those who supported conscription. He said the time had come to "eviscerate" those who did not share his thinking on the war.

Just imagine if the young Pierre Trudeau had had his own blog -- he would never have become prime minister of this country.

What is most interesting about the book is that Trudeau himself came to realize what a stupid young man he had been.

"Before the age of 30," he wrote in his 1944 application to Harvard University, "a man is not intelligent."

The truly odd thing about incredibly stupid young men -- those who urinate where they shouldn't as well as those who say things they shouldn't -- is that they so often grow up to be fine and upstanding older citizens.

And those male readers who cannot accept this about Pierre Trudeau -- or cannot imagine it of these foolish young men from Saturday night -- might like to look in the mirror.

And reflect back.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

J. Geils Band said it best:

(Peter Wolf/Seth Justman) - 1981
    Now some people think the world is what it ain't
    To some I'm a sinner, to others a saint
    Some folks say the world ain't what is is
    All I know is I just got to take a wiz
    Where am I goin' and where have I been
    My head's in the clouds and my tail's in a spin
    Jumpin' out of planes for the thrill of it all
    Then I bounce back and take a Piss On The Wall
    Politics - Shmolitics
    They oughta save their breath
    Mean streak - blue streak
    They sentence me to death
    Harangue me from a tree
    Twist and shout until I crawl
    Do the flip - do the flop
    Piss On The Wall
    Well the Yanks hate the Reds
    And the Greeks hate the Turks
    I really hate to say it
    But they're all a bunch of jerks
    Seems like everybody's shakin'
    'Cause the big one's 'bout to fall
    I'm just tryin' to hold it steady while I
    Piss On The Wall

12. markvid

markvid Guest

So what if he had been? Would that make the act any less disrespectful and disgusting?

Draft saved Draft deleted